first time elk hunter questions

My name is Bill and I am an Elkoholic...:cool:
Redman, I too have the disease. However, I also suffer from mule-deeritis, pronghorn fever, bear aches, and many other natural wilderness forming ailments. :)

In all honesty, the worst thing I ever did was to go on my first elk hunt. Now I just build points in different states, up grade gear, stare at maps, plan hunts years in advance, take other people out in the mountains chasing elk, heck I can't pass a magazine stand and not by a magazine that has an elk on the cover! Yup this sickness is in my blood and there is no cure and I really don't think I want cured. Also never been on a guided hunt, only DIY.

Sometime solo, but with a partner, most all OTC hunt trips can be had for >$1,000. I do it every year while building a few points. Heck, even the 2-3 pt hunts are just at a grand. I like to hunt not accumulate years worth of points.
I believe Randy did an article on this very topic.

I've hunted Colorado 1st season the last 3 years without any points. DIY and learned a bunch every year. Only shot one Elk in those 3 years, however, time spent in the Rockies is priceless. Budget has been under $1000 every year, although I hunt with 3 others and we split costs.

Solid information here. On a side-note, I've learned more about hunting by watching 'real' videos (diy guys) not the commercialized garbage ones.

I was in your shoes about 5 years ago. I have done DIY Archery in CO 3 times. I should have 2 dead elk, but I suck. (and shtuff happens). My advice is start a file of all elk info that you learn. Take lots of notes. Organize in terms of general elk info, CO info, WY info, etc. - Learn about the states draw/tag systems and see what fits for you. I am getting points in 2 states while hunting every year and learning in CO. After a year of research you can go back through all of your notes and certain info will jump out at you and other info will be constantly repeated. There is no substitute for time in the mountains, but you can only do so much from PA. - I always see PA trucks in CO, just as many as any other state. Corey Jacobsen on line course is good, as is all of the Elk Nut info, see their website for some good info. Granted , a lot of both guys info will be archery related. Another source is to go to YouTube and search elk hunting with many different videos. A lot of it is just "watch me kill my elk" but you can learn some things along the way.
Best wishes!

You have elk in PA. Before you head out west, spend some time in the hills close to home and figure out how these critters work. find someone close to home who can teach you some things and get to know elk before heading across the country. then, just go. Watch Newburg, he's got alot of good tips. Spend your money on good equipment and figure it out. Go light the first trip and you'll have a much better idea on what you need on the next one. Use your first trip to get your feet wet and learn. Don't be devastated if you come home with nothing but blisters and memories. Be careful, once you get this bug, there's no cure...
Buckshot

A backpack elk hunt requires the culmination of a vast and diverse set of skills. Some you may wing, but some are life and death important. Examples of skills include remote scouting, long distance hiking, ultralight camping and packing, backcountry navigation and mountaineering, glassing, perhaps game calling, stalking, shooting, field dressing and butchering, first aid, and the mental and physical fortitude to carry on these activities over long distances and times, and under tremendous discomfort. It is pure bliss. It takes experience, and the best way is to find someone with it, and just jump in and do it. Just don't overextend yourself and get into trouble.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back