First time Elk Hunter headed to Az unit 23 Late Archery

Sjackson

Well me and 2 buddies of mine were fortunate enough to draw a Arizona unit 23 late archery tag. We have never been to this unit and have never elk hunted for that matter. Im not looking for anyone to give away there honey hole, but would should appreciate any guidence on areas to focus on, places to camp, styles of camping or any othere helpful knowlege about unit 23. I cant even express my excitment to get the opportunity to hunt elk this year. Thanks for your time.

This is a very tough hunt no matter if you drew cow or bull, really tough for bull. My advice get up high and look down - - 23 is a great unit but the bulls at that time of the year will be in the most rugged areas and down in the canyons, way down in the canyons - they will not be walking on the flat lands - they will be deep in the canyons where there is water, feed and only a very few crazy hunters who dare to go look for them. Good luck

Thanka man, i really appreciate the response. In terms of the general locality of the unit should i focus more north or south? Or do you think you can find a quality bull anywhere in the unit? Is the eastern area that borders the Indian res worth focusing on or is the country not rugged enough?

Thanka man, i really appreciate the response. In terms of the general locality of the unit should i focus more north or south? Or do you think you can find a quality bull anywhere in the unit? Is the eastern area that borders the Indian res worth focusing on or is the country not rugged enough?
Hey I wanted to reach out and ask how your hunt turned out. We're you able to be successful and if so we're you in north unit or south unit.

Have not hunted this unit personally. Hunted in 22N a few years back (just west of 23). Tough hunt, elk move off the rim after the first major storm. Earlier comments about deep canyons is spot on, getting one out is a big concern. South end of unit above Roosevelt is not prime elk habitat. Hope this helps...

2017 trying to remember that far back all I know is I was a lot younger then

Back