Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

First Time Elk Hunt

kyleouradnik

I am going on my first elk hunt in Idaho. I have a rifle tag for Dworshak B unit for 10a. The trip happened really quickly. I am a little nervous about what to bring, expect, etc. I don't have time to get to Idaho to scout for the hunt. I do have some topo maps but don't really now how to read them. I also checked out Google earth but I don't think those maps do the area justice Does anyone have any advice on how to prepare for the hunt. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!

http://adventure.howstuffworks.com/outdoor-activities/hiking/how-to-read-a-topographic-map.htm This link will give you a general rundown on how to read a topo map. Do a general google search and I bet you can come up with hundreds of pages to teach you on how to read one of those maps. If you want unit specific maps you can call the BLM and they will send them to you for $4 a piece without having to pay shipping. You just tell them the units you are hunting and the nice folks will figure out what maps you need. I was able to get all the maps for my upcoming wyoming hunts sent to me in Indiana in only 3 days. Those maps will be able to help you determine what is public and what is private. I'd also recommend a gps chip.

Get a compass, note major landmarks such as mountain peaks and creeks. Might be good for you to get a GPS. If you do, learn how to use it, mark your starting point and know how to use it to get you back to your starting point so you don't get lost. Good luck!

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KJ1225
Back