first hard antler of the year

twodot

Driving home from Winnett last evening and we jumped this lone bull out of a water hole along side the road. His antlers had hard white points showing plainly. Lousy, running truck picture, but he is the first non-velvet bull I've seen this year. Got a large herd just south of the house that I think I will go peek at this evening and see if they are also showing hard horn.
Can't wait to get woke up by that first bugle of the season here before too long!

Attachments

• first of 013.jpg
    first of 013.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 811
I cant believe they are rubbing their velvet off already!! Although it is September in a couple of weeks.

The deer in my area are getting their winter coats already, shedding bigtime but no hard horn yet...usually by Sept 1st they start rubbing......we might have an early winter this year....:cool:

Twodot- Looks like you have made it "home"! Congrats! Not a whole lot ot miss in IN this time of year...

I was out on the 17th as well here in washington and saw first hard horn was surprised I thought early as well was clean like picture no rag velvet hanging. He was hanging out with three cows.

Pointer, you are right, we finally made it home. 17 months back in indiana and I was homesick for MT every minute. Not that IN is so bad, it's just that MT is soooo good.
Went out to watch the moon rise over the river this evening and oddly never heard so much as a chirp from the elk. It was non the less a spectacular nite to be out with the wife and boys just watchin and listening.
I am very thankful to be back home.
Picture of my view and company this evening.

Attachments

• IMG_2099.jpg
    IMG_2099.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 311
  • IMG_2102.jpg
    IMG_2102.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 299
Pointer, you are right, we finally made it home. 17 months back in indiana and I was homesick for MT every minute. Not that IN is so bad, it's just that MT is soooo good.Went out to watch the moon rise over the river this evening and oddly never heard so much as a chirp from the elk. It was non the less a spectacular nite to be out with the wife and boys just watchin and listening.
I am very thankful to be back home.
Picture of my view and company this evening.
I hear ya! Life's not 'bad' for me here, but I wish and pray everyday that my wife will change her mind about living here. Congrats on getting back! I'm hoping to pay MT a visit in the next couple of years just to make coming back here all that more depressing...:rolleyes:

Back