First Feathers

Brentster7189

I figured I'd give the upland guys or gals some love and post some bird pictures. Last weekend was the first time my 5-year old went out hunting with me. He's been busy hunting stuffed animals in the house for the past few years, and he's really been asking me the past few weeks to go out and do some real hunting. So he sported his usual gear, water, orange vest, orange toy shotgun...and the one shell he could find to put in it.

We were lucky enough to get into a nice covey of quail as soon as we stepped out of the rig so we had some shooting right off. I didn't really look at this as a hunting trip, but more of making sure my son had a positive experience on his first outing.

IMG_1243.jpg

After an hour of running around some irrigation canals we were able to pick up a few quail. And he did an additionally superb job at picking up empties, even if they weren't ours. This was one proud boy, and in my eyes he's the one that bagged the birds today, I was just along for the ride. I think I might have made a hunter out of him today.

IMG_1260.jpg

We were out back cleaning the birds and my son said...

"Dad, when are we going hunting again?"

Music to dad's ears.....

IMG_1255.jpg

Brentster: somebody messed with your pictures and turned your quail all funny colors!!! (said the Kansas boy who has only taken "regular" quail)

Thanks for the comments. It was a rewarding experience for sure. You know how it is with the little ones and their attention span, gotta keep it fun, and keep it short!

That looks like an awesome time! This is how I have to do it... son just turned 4 this September.
picture.php

I just make sure he has his ear-muffs and is warm enough.

Is that a Vizsla?

Back