Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

First elk!

deer_shooter

It finally fell into place today and I was able to put a nice big cow on the ground. Pardon the crappy iPhone pic, I'll post more when I get home from my camera. After 4 and a half days of 7-10 mile and seeing nothing, I was starting to think I would go 0 for 5 on elk. Today was as nice as it gets, mid 20's with about 10 inches of fresh snow. About a mile or so in I glassed the other side of of the valley and holy crap! Elk! There were 5 cows feeding on a hillside about 2 miles away. Game on. I worked my down to the valley floor and across to a drainage that would put me above the elk. No sooner did I start up and a muley buck blows out and up the drainage he goes. He stopped halfway and watched to see what I'd do. Since I was afraid he would bump the elk, I moved over one drainage and continued up. Almost to where I needed to be I look over and see 3 cows staring at me. They had been feeding my way so we kinda met each other. They were far enough away they didnt really spook so I kept going. I crested the top and there they were. I guessed 300 yards and missed clean. Three of the cows took off and 2 stayed put. I grabbed my rangefinder and it told me 355. I adjusted accordingly and my second shot ended in a satisfying 'whump'. She ran about 30 yards and tipped over. I can't even describe the feeling of walking up and fining her laying in the scrub brush. It's been a long time coming. I'll be spending my thanksgiving packing out my elk.
image.jpg

Congrats. I'm 0 for 2 so far and it does get frustrating. Glad to see you finally found success. I'll be glad when I get there.

Congrats. I'm 0 for 2 so far and it does get frustrating. Glad to see you finally found success. I'll be glad when I get there.

I know what you mean. Trust me. My last two hunts I never saw an elk. So 10 days there and the first 4 days of this trip. I average 7-10 miles a day so it adds up quick! Anyway, keep hitting it and sooner or later"...

Congrats! You really earned that elk. I hope your pack out goes well. I plan to leave for that unit in a few days. To me the elation and sense of accomplishment of taking an elk,any elk, is about as good as it gets.

Congrats! You really earned that elk. I hope your pack out goes well. I plan to leave for that unit in a few days. To me the elation and sense of accomplishment of taking an elk,any elk, is about as good as it gets.

Thanks, 10 hours to pack out. I feel like I lost a fight! I'm sure you have an area scouted but shoot me a PM if not and I'll tell you where I got mine.

Here is a better pic with me and my first elk. I spent a rewarding day on thanksgiving packing her out. Forgot to add in my first post that I was shooting a Ruger .300 WM, Swarovski Z3 with 165 gr Sierra game king handloads. I found the bullet under the hide on the opposite side.
image.jpg

Back