First Elk Hunt 2013, which state?

blb078

Finally one of my buddies has decided to do an elk hunt, this is something I've been wanting to do for a few years but never wanted to go in a long because I want to do a DIY hunt not pay 4k to an outfitter. We live in Missouri(St. Louis area) and are deciding between Colorado or Wyoming mainly because that will be the shortest drive. Is Colorado going to be the best option for us? We like the idea of being able to do an elk/deer combo(if drawn for deer) We haven't narrowed it down to a unit yet but are leaning towards unit 25, although from what I hear it doesn't seem to matter which unit you pick in Colorado as they are all very populated. Is Wyoming the same way? Are there any units there that you can do a elk/deer combo hunt? I tried to figure it out from their website but it was just to confusing for a first timer like me. Or are we just better off sticking w/Colorado? Thx

With no pref points, WY will be hard to get a deer , elk combo hunt.
Colorado should be doable, if you pick the right unit.
and there is also Montana, they have had left over combo tags the last few years, but they are pricey about $950.00 for a deer elk combo.

Kevin

With no pref points, WY will be hard to get a deer , elk combo hunt.
Colorado should be doable, if you pick the right unit.
and there is also Montana, they have had left over combo tags the last few years, but they are pricey about $950.00 for a deer elk combo.

Kevin

How is the public hunting in MT? One of the reasons that Colorado was a lot of interest besides it being closest to me is that the elk population is large and there is a lot of public land to hunt on.

CO

How is the public hunting in MT? One of the reasons that Colorado was a lot of interest besides it being closest to me is that the elk population is large and there is a lot of public land to hunt on.

Colorado does have a lot of public land for sure, and the largest elk herd of any State, but also gets lots of hunters just for that reason.
Mt has decent amounts of public ground, but nothing like CO does.
I have hunted both many times, and enjoyed my hunts in both States.
I just thru MT out as another option for you.
Nothing wrong with WY either, but i don't think you could get both tags there, and even CO is ify if you could with no points.

Kevin

If you have never done an elk hunt, it might be a little ambitious to try a deer/elk combo. Pick one and give it all you've got. An easy elk hunt is still very hard, and I doubt you will find an easy hunt in an OTC unit. No matter what you choose, it will be a great experience.

It may be a bit ambitious to try to bag both a deer and an elk, but carry tags for both if you would be happy to harvest either/or. You will see a trophy of whatever you do not have a tag for.

How true that is! Forever etched in my mind are the scenes of two nice bulls walking by at 30 feet in the timber when I only had a cow tag, and another time when I came upon two fine bulls sunning on a bench in the aspens at 70 yards when, again, I only had a cow tag. Thankfully, the rules in CO changed to allow purchase of an OTC or leftover tag after drawing a limited license. Of course, choices are cheaper when you live in state.

The folks that hunt Montana sure are posting up a lot of nice elk, but there hasnt been much from those that hunt Colorado

Just a hint ;)

To be honest, success rates are down 30% to 40% in most units in Montana from what they were 4 years ago. in 2 weeks of scouting and hunting i never saw a Elk this year, it was very frustrating to say the least. i don't know if it is because of the Wolves of what the deal is ?.

Kevin

Had the same questions for my first DIY in 2010, my buddy and i picked MT, if you go there i suggest Jack Ballards book to get you started..read it several times, picked an area, we had 2 consecutive successful trips, the book is great IMO (book is mainly for elk, we had no deer opportunities)

Hey don't forget Idaho, you can buy OTC tags for both deer and elk and wolf, also you doing rifle or bow? Unit 39 is good, just get off the road, steep country but decent amount of game...
Matt

Hey don't forget Idaho, you can buy OTC tags for both deer and elk and wolf, also you doing rifle or bow? Unit 39 is good, just get off the road, steep country but decent amount of game...
Matt

My original thought was rifle, but I think I'm going to go with bow since in CO I can get one tag for either sex archery, think I can also get the same for mule deer. Plus the pressure should be a little less from other hunters and hopefully more favorable weather in sept as opposed to late oct for 2nd rife, which should help for my first time. I'm not necessarily trying to score a trophy buck or bull for that matter, obviously I'd love to get a nice one but I have very low expectations for that. My main goal since this is my first trip is just to get my feet wet, try to see some animals and if I can get close enough get a shot off. I can probably get off work to hunt up to 10 days but not sure I want to go that long for my first time. If I do go that long I might break it up into 2, 4 day hunts, and basically come out after the 4th day, get a hotel, rest up, relax, then go back out a day later for another 4 days. Right now I'm looking at unit 34 in CO, I've heard there's some steep canyons in parts of it and some private land at the top of the area but it seems like a better choice than unit 25 right now, but I"m open to suggestions and I still have plenty of time to decide.

Last edited:
Since it will be your first elk hunt, I would highly recommend a Colorado cow hunt. Unless you have preference points, an easy-draw hunt will not produce a bull worth the high price tag in my opinion. A cow hunt is just as much fun as a bull, but there are lots more of them and they are cheaper.

Start putting in for preference points in Colorado and I can put you in a good area for a respectable bull, but it will take five preference points.

Since it will be your first elk hunt, I would highly recommend a Colorado cow hunt. Unless you have preference points, an easy-draw hunt will not produce a bull worth the high price tag in my opinion. A cow hunt is just as much fun as a bull, but there are lots more of them and they are cheaper.

Start putting in for preference points in Colorado and I can put you in a good area for a respectable bull, but it will take five preference points.

That's one of the reason's I'm doing archery since I can get an either sex tag, and less pressure from other hunters.

This year was my first Elk hunt here in Colorado. I did a lot of research and some scouting. Went 3rd rifle season and spent 9 straight days and hiked 5-10 miles a day in several different areas, from 7k to 11k ft. One morning I saw three cow elk about 1,000 yards away and they were running. Never could find them. Every hunter I talked to (at least 15) said that it was a very down year (just my luck). I had OTC Bull and Cow taggs but never got close to closing the deal. I realize some of that many of my issues could have been due to my own inexperience. The first area we were in has a group of 5 hunters (with a 5th wheel and horses) that have been hunting the same spot for 20 years and this was the first year that none of them got anything. I was wondering if bow season would be better myself. Then again, if I can't get within 1,000ft of them, how can I get withing 40ft of them?!?!? If you need any help with maps, info etc, I can be your Colorado insider. Just PM me. After all, I have an entire Elk season under my belt. That makes me a pro right?

we went to Colorado this year for the 3rd rifle hunt. it was 60 degrees during the day with just patches of snow here and there. there was 4 of us four of us in our group and on opening day we took down 4 bulls and saw a total of 9 bulls in 5 days

The folks that hunt Montana sure are posting up a lot of nice elk, but there hasnt been much from those that hunt Colorado

Just a hint ;)

Are you kidding???? Didn't the cittergitter get his monster in CO? Yeh, he is from MT, but took that beast in CO! Buzz smoked some nice bulls in WYO?!!! And yeh, so I do not have a nice bull elk to post, but the raghorn express is fun for a first timer or anytimer imo!Would suggest that either state is equally excellent for a first elk hunt.

Attachments

• 2012elk.JPG
    2012elk.JPG
    161.8 KB · Views: 2,170
Are you kidding???? Didn't the cittergitter get his monster in CO? Yeh, he is from MT, but took that beast in CO! Buzz smoked some nice bulls in WYO?!!! And yeh, so I do not have a nice bull elk to post, but the raghorn express is fun for a first timer or anytimer imo!Would suggest that either state is equally excellent for a first elk hunt.

I think you have your states wrong on Critter's elk, I may be wrong but don't think so....

Don't know CG personally but I'd sure like to! :D

me too...and i very well could be wrong, not often. not sure, thought he had pulled the wool on folks? regardless, you can kill good elk anywhere in any state.

Last edited:
me too...and i very well could be wrong, not often. not sure, thought he had pulled the wool on folks? regardlees, you can kill good elk anywhere in any state.

Yeah I've decided on CO, It's a closer drive for me and the possibility of doing a combo elk/mule deer archery hunt is something I like. I'm sure other states I can do that too but they aren't as close as CO. Already started order my gear. Have $1500 to spend, hoping I can get everything I need for that since I'm starting out w/basically no packing/camping gear.

Last edited:
PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back