First elk, Cow, CO archery

Congrats - out of curiosity what was the helpful tracking advice that helped find her?

Thanks guys, but I mostly posted this to thank you all and Randy!
Joec, the advice I got from my friend in Utah was mostly just helping me slow down and think through all of the possibilities of where she may have went. I lost blood after 150 yards, then was on foot prints in the dirt only for 50-75 yards, before they ended. The last tracks were headed for a steep canyon that I REALLY didn't want to go down into or pack her out of. Logic and past deer tracking told me that's where she likely went as there was water there also. My friend agreed but as we chatted we decided that I should absolutely exhaust all other possibilities before I went down there. I went back to the last tracks, and managed to find 2 more tracks that turned slightly uphill. My friend and I agreed that it was unlikely that she went uphill but not impossible, we had both seen it before. I decided to body search everything on top and after looking most of it over I went to the rim and stood on some rocks glassing the valley below, nothing! , dangit! and then I turned to my left to walk the rim back to the last blood and last tracks and there she was , dead on a trail right on the rim. She had went 200 yards uphill before tipping over. Lesson = there are no absolutes in anything, they will still go uphill once in a while when we think they wouldn't.

Congrats Clay, you certainly put a great amount of time and effort into these hunts and was rewarded. Definitely an inspiration to others thinking of trying a hunt that they have never done before. Good job.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lincoln's Poppi
Back