Caribou Gear

First Clearwater Steelhead

goshawk

Managed to finally hook into a couple of these buggers on a trip to the clearwater my dad and I took this spring. Took the boat for the first time which kept things interesting. Biggest fish caught to date!

Attachments

• IMGP3984(copy).jpg
    IMGP3984(copy).jpg
    180.4 KB · Views: 339
  • IMGP4040 (copy).jpg
    IMGP4040 (copy).jpg
    456.9 KB · Views: 338
  • IMGP4044 (2).jpg
    IMGP4044 (2).jpg
    201 KB · Views: 341
  • IMGP4049 (2).jpg
    IMGP4049 (2).jpg
    287.7 KB · Views: 344
Jealous! mdunc8 or others who know.....teach me how to know wild vs hatchery ID markers please

Jealous! mdunc8 or others who know.....teach me how to know wild vs hatchery ID markers please

I'm not 100% sure, but, I recall in college Wildlife Biology class that I had (my major at the time), that the fins are the tell on the hatchery fish. Worn caudil fins,pectoral, and dorsal fins. . .and I believe they clip the adipose fin too. I may be way off, but, I'm sure it was something with the fins. mdunc8 may be able to give you a much better explaination. . .I'm a small mouth and crappie guy here in Indiana. . .

RJ- Is correct, the fins on the hatchery fish are clipped. Look at the first 4 pics, the last fin (toward the tail) is clipped. The last pic shows a wild fish.

Good haul! Fishing for them can be an exercise in futility, but once you hook up is real fun!

Ha ha. Honestly though, with a pair of lacrosse boots, I never get wet with those. Also keeps the slime off my wool pants. Makes a difference after day five or six;)

Back