Firsst time? Is elk hunting worth the $ to go????

Being a new elk hunter I am in the same situation wanting to hunt elk out west. I found this saving strategy that seemed to fit me perfectly called 52 week saving plan. There are a lot of different way to go about it but here is the link to the most basic concept.

https://www.affinityplus.org/portals/0/documents/blog/52week.pdf

LOL! My wife has 10 of those envelopes going right now! I told her next year to do her 10 and add 5 for me. Cushman Eagle here I come!!!! John

Whats your health worth to you? To me the answer is "priceless." Elk hunting literally saved my life. I was 30 years old, 40 pounds over weight, poor diet, borderline Hypertension....not going down a good road. I got the invite to do an archery hunt. I, that day, began to change my life. My lifestyle. I changed my diet, my physical activity. I now weigh what I did in high school. I hear a lot of people who says that their wifes complain when they go hunting....my wife embraces it. She has seen all the positive changes it has brought to me...and she knows that I am living a better quality of life because of it...and that I will be around and healthy for many more years. We eat many many meals each year of lean, high quality game meat. Im fortunate she likes this as well......so i guess the answer, to me at least, is........YES. Its worth it.......

...well said, good perspective...could not agree more.

If you can't afford it find someone who can and join in on the hunt and help them pack while you learn the ropes. It is a big investment and that's an expensive hike in the woods if you don't know what the heck is going on. Join in with someone so you actually have a reasonable chance of harvesting an elk when you do decide to fork over the cash that is needed for a tag.

I'm still not confident enough, so I'm joining with my friend who's a CO resident while he tries to chase one down. Hopefully another year of knowledge and next year I'll be ready, until then I build points, hunt antelope, and shoot whitetails and ducks at home... still not a bad fall.

It's good to be a Wyoming resident. I can hunt elk for about $200 for gas, tags, food, and ammo.
I hate you just a little! ;)

Whats your health worth to you? To me the answer is "priceless." Elk hunting literally saved my life. I was 30 years old, 40 pounds over weight, poor diet, borderline Hypertension....not going down a good road. I got the invite to do an archery hunt. I, that day, began to change my life. My lifestyle. I changed my diet, my physical activity. I now weigh what I did in high school. I hear a lot of people who says that their wifes complain when they go hunting....my wife embraces it. She has seen all the positive changes it has brought to me...and she knows that I am living a better quality of life because of it...and that I will be around and healthy for many more years. We eat many many meals each year of lean, high quality game meat. Im fortunate she likes this as well......so i guess the answer, to me at least, is........YES. Its worth it.......

Same boat my friend. but I am 50 ! :)

Everyone's replies are special each in their own way, and all hit home!

Mine, simply put ...

I used to live in Gilbert... KS resident now.

If you can't afford it find someone who can and join in on the hunt and help them pack while you learn the ropes. It is a big investment and that's an expensive hike in the woods if you don't know what the heck is going on. Join in with someone so you actually have a reasonable chance of harvesting an elk when you do decide to fork over the cash that is needed for a tag.

I'm still not confident enough, so I'm joining with my friend who's a CO resident while he tries to chase one down. Hopefully another year of knowledge and next year I'll be ready, until then I build points, hunt antelope, and shoot whitetails and ducks at home... still not a bad fall.

I'm in KS as well, maybe we should meet up some time in the future and go chase some Western game!

Elk hunting is worth every penny!

I can honestly say that living here in Montana I am blessed. I am able to hunt legal bulls on a general tag every season and if I can draw a cow tag I am also able to take a cow. I know that every fall I start by chasing bugling bulls with my favorite bow and best friend. I can honestly say I spend every free minute I have from the start of bow season the end of rifle season after elk. Whether I am chasing a big bull hiding on the ridge top rocks on the ranch or taking a kid out for their first elk I live and breathe for elk.

I've hunted Montana, Idaho and Wyoming and hope some day to draw a stellar archery tag in Arizona or a rifle tag in Nevada. I'd never put my wife and I in financial peril to hunt elk but I'll spend every free cent I have to maybe, just maybe see a tawny brown butt in the timber in front of me.

Elk hunting is an absolute addiction to me, the final day of the season as I shovel down a burger in a diner hours from home after a long season I might think to myself that I'm tired, my muscles are sore, my bird dog hates me and my wife may have changed the locks on me (joking of course). But the Monday after the season I know I'll get up and think what the hell am I going to do with myself until shed hunting and then opening day.

I can't honestly wait to take my 1 year old boy out elk hunting and continually tell him the story he was in his momma's belly as daddy loaded up an elk into the pickup on one cold November evening... that kid will be just like me if I do the right thing and share my addiction with him.

In short heck yes elk hunting is worth every penny that can be saved... just to see those amazing creatures is priceless.

Let me think about that a little, pay $1000 for a NR big game combo tag, fly across an ocean, rent a car, rough it for 2 weeks and then fly home, with or without any success, you're damned right its worth it!
Cheers
Richard

Let me think about that a little, pay $1000 for a NR big game combo tag, fly across an ocean, rent a car, rough it for 2 weeks and then fly home, with or without any success, you're damned right its worth it!
Cheers
Richard
Thats dedication my friend! I like it! Good luck this year!

I'm in KS as well, maybe we should meet up some time in the future and go chase some Western game!

I'm about an hour north of Wichita. I convinced a few buddies to go Antelope Wyoming this year with me. But it's hard to get anyone who's not passionate about western hunting to fork over the kinda money needed for a non resident tag. Would love to meet up sometime.

Back