Fiordland Wapiti

Micko

G'day guys, I know there are some mad keen Elk hunters on this site, and I wanted to share this episode of NZ Hunting Adventures, A free to air hunting show on NZ TV. I watch a lot of North American Elk hunting vids, and as far as I am concerned none of it looks quite as fun as this. I had a Wapiti Block last year for 10 days. lots of Reds about but we did hear one bugle at last light on the 6th day. Fiordland is some truly challenging country. I hope this vid works overseas!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BLB6Fm3OAU

Thanks a great vid Micko. I was also in Fiordland last year, Narrows Block. Which block did you hunt?

Charles first period, same weather as Duley and co in this vid. We got Upper Dingle in the Wanaka Roar this year, 4th period. few cham in there, dont know much about the stags. good fishing anyways!

Charles looks like a cool spot, nice to be by the coast. I've got the Upper Turnbull first week of April for the roar. Good luck in the Upper Dingle, must be at least a few stags in there.

PS is you want the Moors Guide info on the Dingle Valley let me know and I'll send you a photo of the text.

Last edited:
I just watched the video. Spectacular country. Having just visited Fjordland in January, it makes me want to go back RIGHT NOW. Especially since I didn't have the chance to hunt while I was there.

Thanks for sharing your adventure.

Closest we got to the coast was couple 100m above Caswell chasing a good stag, base camp way up on the tops as both me and me mate hate hunting the bush. Batson from the forum has told me where to look in the upper dingle, good 14 pt taken out of there last year apparently. I hunt the Ahuriri heaps and I am asuming it is similar country, its just over the hill after all...! Iv got the Moirs books but cheers for the offer.

Painful to watch in 480P. They take helicopters into the hunt area and are using Swaro optiks, get new cameras and shoot in full HD :) And if they are indeed shooting in HD, then why the lo-res upload :) EDIT: They replied to me, I guess if I want to see the HD I have to move to NZ as they only upload the lo-res....bummer...

Last edited:
yeah sorry bro. the uploader used to put up top quality, but Choice TV hit them with copyright. that is why the name of the vid is so #@)(*%*. uploader is doing "gods work" and putting it up for me, a kiwi with no tv, and for you fullas, guys with no access to NZ TV. give him a thumbs up for letting us watch this!

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Otto247
Back