MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Finding new ground

powderhogg01

As I work towards finding some new area to scout for OTC season here in Utah, I find my self spending a lot of time looking over hunt maps and google earth. I know I'm wanting to be a ways from motorized travel, with that said.. what are thoughts on pack or hiking trails.
One of my potential areas has a lot of hiking trails running through, but is very limited in the amount of motorized travel that is allowed.
I have a few basins picked out to scout that have great protection, lots of water and should have good feed. Waiting for the snow to melt so I can set boots on the ground and see the country for myself.

In my experience as long as the area is not too close to a metro area, 2 hrs out of Salt Lake for instance, and isn't going to a super popular mountain to climb you don't really have to worry about hiking trails in the west all that much.

Last edited by a moderator:
In my experience as long as the area is not too close to a metro area, 2 hrs out of Salt Lake for instance, and isn't going to a super popular mountain to climb you don't really have to worry about hiking trails in the west all that much.

I will for sure be at least that far away from the metro.. 2 of my locations are in the wilderness zone, a few more are just outside. In total I have about 15 spots I wint to check out, spend some time hiking around, setting cameras, ect

Back