Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Finally at least saw one

drahthaar

Headed to Helena this afternoon, finally saw a wolf. Just before Clearwater junction on the west side of hwy 83. It was coming up the hill 50 yds off the road. Its an area across from the big open flats of the game range, it has sparse pines and firs with some large grassy areas. Couldn't believe my eyes. I locked em up, flipped around and ran my car off the road into the snowbank to get it off the road.
The bugger was hauling arse by then back down the hill, struggling to run in the deep snow down in the bottom, it hit a couple deep spots and took a couple skids on its chin.

I couldn't have killed it if it was legal. I don't know what is across the road there, either more of the game range or private property I'm guessing.

Depends how close to Clearwater you were. Hopefully next time it will work out for you.

Screenshot_2014-03-02-20-36-26.png

My best guess is somewhere in the yellow box. I think I know where those two ponds are and I wasn't there. But I know I was past those two roads just north.

Must be game range there eh? The blue state land? I didn't see a key on the map.

If the heavy brown line across the road is where the hill starts up then I am dang close to where it was coming up the hill. The bugger wanted to cross, should have just turned around and watched. Maybe let some lead fly out across the game range! Just kidding.

Last edited:
That west side of 83 would have been legal all along there, for the most part, clear from Salmon Lake. Its a State Wildlife Management area, but not part of Boyd Game range. There is some private near elbow lake, but not near the highway. I used to trap that WMA on the West side of 83.

I would have been shooting.

Depends how close to Clearwater you were. Hopefully next time it will work out for you.

Screenshot_2014-03-02-20-36-26.png

I killed my first elk on that map.

The wolves have been crossing a ton there the last couple years. It's a shame there's no way to get some wolves killed off the game range.

Have you been glassing there drahthaar? I imagine there's some giant bulls within view of the highway right now.

Have you been glassing there drahthaar? I imagine there's some giant bulls within view of the highway right now.

Perfect, I'm going to be over that way next week with a couple friends from out of state. I don't think they've ever seen a decent bull.

I haven't seen diddly at Clearwater. All the elk I see are scattered mostly along the length of hwy 141. But I haven't stopped and glassed either.

I haven't seen diddly at Clearwater. All the elk I see are scattered mostly along the length of hwy 141. But I haven't stopped and glassed either.

I'll let you know how it looks next week if we end up taking 200 to Missoula. Planning on throwing the spotter in.

I'll let you know how it looks next week if we end up taking 200 to Missoula. Planning on throwing the spotter in.

Park at Stoney's and glass the tree line due north, and up in to those parks on Boyd. There'll be bulls there.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fossil Ridge
Back