Field judging antelope

wytex

A lot of you are heading out on your first antelope hunt. Take some time to look closely at a few bucks before you think about shooting. Wyoming antelope have ears about 6 inches long, including the ear hairs on the tip, NM antelope to me had a little shorter ear. Look for horns at least twice as long as the ear, 12 inch bucks are very common and will score about 60 inches give or take.Look at the amount of curl on the horn. A tight curl can be deceiving and add quite a bit to the length. Also try to get a look from the front, back and side. The curl that goes straight back will look short from the front view. The mass and prong length will give you more towards the score. The base of the horn should look bigger than the eye. The prongs should come off of the horns above the ear and extend out at least as far as the thickness of the main horn. You will be able to spot a good from a long distance, if you notice the large amount of black on his head he is worth taking a closer look.
Antelope are territorial, they will tend to go back to their home area even if run out. Solitary bucks generally be the subordinates, the herd buck will stay with his harem until he has to chase a smaller one away. They will pay attention to the wind if you get too close.
Doe can and will have horns also. If you only have doe tags make sure there is no cheek patch on the animal, the black cheek patch is only on bucks. A 1 1/2 year old buck will look very similar to a doe , no black cheek patch on a doe.
Antelope in Wyoming cross fences by going under, look for fence crossings to hunt near if your pasture is cross fenced. The NM antelope I hunted years back jumped fences like deer, it was interesting to see.
You will see many animals while driving towards your hunt area, stop and take a look at them. Antelope are everywhere here in Wyoming.

Field care of your meat is very important for antelope. Try to harvest a resting animal. If you take one that has been running doe or bucks off, or running for it's life, the lactic acid buildup in the muscles will make the meat iffy. Cool him out right away. We bone out and put into giant Ziplock bags for field cooler transport, they keep the moisture from melting ice out of the meat. Take it home and age it if you can. Processors do not have time and it does improve the quality of the steaks. Burger cuts and sausage cuts only need to let the blood leave the muscles. My 12 1/2 year old doe last year taken in Dec. on the winter range is outstanding. We hung her almost 10 days due to optimum weather. They will probably taste sagey, but that's a good thing.

Great info.

Wyoming antelope will jump a fence but they tend to run for miles looking for a hole to duck under before they jump.

I have found that aging meat in ice water works really well. I will bone out an antelope and get it on ice ASAP. I leave it on ice for a week or longer every day drain out the bloody water and add more ice until the water coming out is clear, makes for decent steaks. For sausage I usually only drain the cooler one time and get to work on make stuff.

Don't listen to him! You all shot first buck you See! I don't get to hunt till second week of season...lol ;)

but truthfully don't get caught up in score, have a hunt to remember and if you see a buck you like pop him and go home happy and with great tales of the hunt. To many people today worry about numbers!

C

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lincoln's Poppi
Back