Ferret clones

mtmiller

Having worked with these guys in the past, this made me smile.

Maybe others will be interested as well.

I can see that using clones to produce offspring will increase BFF numbers, but I don't understand how it "increases genetic diversity" as they were cloned from the same animal (also a clone), thus should be genetically identical/nearly identical to each other and their "mother".

I can see that using clones to produce offspring will increase BFF numbers, but I don't understand how it "increases genetic diversity" as they were cloned from the same animal (also a clone), thus should be genetically identical/nearly identical to each other and their "mother".
They could always throw some more polecat genes into the mix like they did way back in the breeding program.

Give it another read.

Give it another read.

Reedin is haurd fter a lng daze wurk!

From the article that I failed to read in its entirety (thanks iPad pages!)

Elizabeth Ann, Noreen and Antonia were cloned from tissue samples collected in 1988 from a black-footed ferret known as Willa and stored at San Diego Zoo Wildlife Alliance’s Frozen Zoo. These samples contain three times more unique genetic variations than found on average in the current population. Introducing these currently unrepresented genes into the existing population would significantly benefit the species’ genetic diversity.

All black-footed ferrets alive today, except the three clones, are descendants of the last seven wild individuals. This limited genetic diversity leads to unique challenges for their recovery. Besides genetic bottleneck issues, diseases like sylvatic plague and canine distemper further complicate recovery efforts. Cloning and related genetic research could offer potential solutions, aiding concurrent work on habitat conservation and reintroducing black-footed ferrets into the wild.

Thanks @mtmiller for the gentle prod to go back to school.

They could always throw some more polecat genes into the mix like they did way back in the breeding program.
Are any of those genes running around on the prairie or found in bff breeding facilities? Maybe you missed the point?🤷‍♂️

This individual has a family tree that didn't fork much.
51645317371_fa785fca00_4k.jpg

This absolutely interests me.

My dogs are Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retrievers. An amazing breed that almost died out. The whole breed can be traced back to one kennel and seven dogs deep in the Yukon Territory.

In fact, the breeding and genetics of this breed are such that the breed was extensively studied at UC Berkeley - the football mascot was in fact a Toller trained to retrieve the football tee after kickoff.

The problem, of course, with Tollers is the massively small gene pool. Every breeder that I’ve spoken with does a lot of genetic testing to make sure genetic variation is positively managed.

1713409747552.jpeg

Pippi, 4 years old…Marco 13 years old (Rest in peace Boy) and Ranger at 1+ years old. Three different breeders altogether…

So yeah, let’s go Ferrets!

Cloning discussion aside....that is an awesome photo Craig.
Thanks.

To be transparent, this ferret had been released into the wild about 30 minutes prior. I happened to be walking back to the pickup after releasing another one and saw it "periscoping", so I dropped to my belly and snapped a few shots with an amazing sunset lit sky.
51644489522_7abacc4401_4k.jpg

Last edited:
Very cool story, and amazing advancement. I hope it works. Those are some of the coolest critters on the planet. The need to keep what we have and make better what we can, is stronger than ever. Thanks for your work with them, and with all species Craig!

Also, I saw Ferret Clones open up for Bloodhound Gang at a HSUS Spay Day in Ann Arbor in '97. Highly recommend.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back