MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Favorite Hunt/Species to Hunt

Most of you do not have the opportunity to hunt orxy. My favorite hunt. Hunted a few times and as a mule on several others. Favorite hunt was on the Jornada farm north of Las Cruces. Was on the south side of the Organs, wrong side.

Tracked a bull for several miles before a shot Small bull, but a great hunt.

Every time I have a hunt it is different. Fun!

I really like to hunt antelope and they taste great. I would, however, have to say whichever season is open and I have a tag for. I have killed white-tails, mule deer, elk, antelope, oryx and a Canadian moose. Every hunt was a blast and my favorite at the time.

I have had some great hunts for late season cow elk in Wyoming. I enjoy seeing the large herds of elk that time of year and it is easy to care for the meat.

Arkansas is becoming a serious place for black bears. Been seeing a lot more on game cameras. They say the population is ~5000 but it feels like more. I think the density in the white river refuge is purported to be one for every 300 acres.

Elk while they are bugling. However, it can get less than fun fast due to the country and size of the critters. Pronghorn are a close, close second. I dream of living where I can easily access elk and pronghorn hunting a short distance from home. That however, will always just be a dream...

Grew up whitetail hunting in MN. Love it. But elk have my heart. Why? it involves more senses (smell, hearing, vision, and then hopefully touch and taste!), the mountains are so awesome in the fall and those antlers.....

Nobody has specified Spring, or Fall thus far. So, I'll take a next step for the benefit of our new OP. As I posted earlier (Fall), it's Lopes, Lopes, LOPES ! Just can't afford a trip every year, cuz living in the East really kinda sucks on that matter, dollar wise.

BUT !!! Spring is a whole new ball park of fun! BEARS !! Short range over bait, spot & stalk, doesn't matter. A bear trumps a turkey any day, in my book, for a "get the He!! outta the winter cabin cramp" motivator.

This is almost too tough to answer, but I really love still hunting whitetails in big timber with a muzzleloader, Spring bear hunting (spot and stalk), and really enjoyed late season elk hunting last fall....

I grew up hunting Mule Deer on the north end of the Boulder Batholith. A hundred square miles of rocks the size of houses and Ponderosa woods struggling to make it in decomposing granite. Lots of places for deer to hide. 8 years post beetle-kill its character has changed a bit but I still love it.

Attachments

• IMG_0525.jpg
    IMG_0525.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 119
328544_2814701401826_1906486953_o.jpg335103_2833084901402_1630771222_o.jpg339121_2814685001416_15023885_o.jpg

Well,

I think the most fun I have ever had hunting out was the 2011 Duck/Goose Season.

If I could have a season like 2011 every year, I do know if I would hunt big game at all.

Hunting geese and ducks on the ice with a bed sheet as cover is a blast.

Especially when the mallards get in big flocks and circle & circle from airplane height in the decoys.

When you hear a distance flock of geese and start calling and slowly coax them into the decoys and drop your limit in 3 shots.

There are many adventures out west and every hunt is fun.

Open country archery mule deer has to be my hands down favorite, but when the elk are fired up its fun bring those big guys in on a string. But whitetails in November are a blast, so are bears in the spring, waterfowl is always a great day, antelope with bow or gun are a blast, spring turkey is never to be missed, love chasing upland birds over my dog.
I'm starting to see my wife's point when she says it wouldn't kill you to spend a weekend at home every once and a while. I may have a problem haha

Oklahoma whitetails with my recurve. But I'm leaving in 3 weeks for my second ever 3rd season elk in Colorado...I might have found a new love!!

Hey man, I'm new here too and coincidentally I'm going elk hunting in Co. with my two best friends next October too. I think my favorite hunting so far is public land turkeys in Oklahoma.

Man that is a tough one. Archery elk, rifle deer (whitetail or blacktail), pronghorn and/or maybe Spring Black Bear.

This really is a tough question. Here are my thoughts. To give you a bit of background, I grew up in SW Montana and lived there until around age 34. I then moved to SW Idaho and have been here about 5 years.

1. My favorite "thing" to hunt is beautiful country. I am drawn to big wild places, often in Wilderness. The specific animals that I am hunting are secondary to the scenery, adventure and challenge. Luckily for me, many parts of Idaho and Montana are tremendously beautiful and are also home to elk, deer, moose, mountain goats, bears, wolves and mountain lions.

2. Bugling elk. I have chased them in the Missouri River Breaks, at 10,000 feet in Central Idaho, sneaking off alfalfa fields in low foothills, etc. The point is, when they are HOT, it is one of the coolest experiences you can have in the outdoors, plain and simple.

3. Antelope archery, spot and stalk.

4. Whitetail archery hunting from a treestand during the rut.

Pronghorn are the most fun to hunt for me, love the country, love the animal, love the hunt but I think Muleys are my favorite as I think about big Muley bucks in the off season and the desire to get a big mature buck someday outweighs a big speed goat for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sept7872
Back