Endless Rust...

coloradoguy

Hello all! Does anyone have a problem keeping rust off of your guns? No matter how much cleaning and oiling my white shop rags always turn up orange. Wipe after wipe. My guns don’t look rusty any my oil and cleaners aren’t orange colored. Im beginning to think it’s the garbage coating on my rifles (Remington). All thoughts and solutions will be welcomed.

With the exception of a Franchi Instinct L, no. That Franchi will rust if you look at it wrong.

Never had rust. mine are all in my safe with a dri-air dehumidifier. I recharge the the dehumidifier religiously I have guns that have been in ther 20 years and look perfect.

I wrote this. It might help.

Hello all! Does anyone have a problem keeping rust off of your guns? No matter how much cleaning and oiling my white shop rags always turn up orange. Wipe after wipe. My guns don’t look rusty any my oil and cleaners aren’t orange colored. Im beginning to think it’s the garbage coating on my rifles (Remington). All thoughts and solutions will be welcomed.

I wiped the receiver on a Rem 783 with hexane the other day before installing a different scope base and saw the same thing and the gun doesn't look rusty at all.

Remember, bluing is a form of oxidation.
From bare steel, you oxidize to a point (the beautiful "blue" color) then hopefully stop it from oxidizing further.
Same with browning a firearm.
And anodizing aluminium.

If it’s a Remington SPS rifle that’s what you can expect. SPS finish is terrible. Kinda like the newer 870 also. I cerakoted my 870 because the thing rusts if you sneeze or look at it.

If you would like to learn to rust blue it yourself, I'd be glad to help. It is easy. Even I can do it. And it will end your rust problems (and vastly improve the appearances of your rifle).

I wrote this. It might help.

Wow! It’s gonna take a minute to finish reading but I’m sure I’ll take something away from it. Thank you for sharing!

In a gun cabinet in a dry room. My other guns don’t seem to have the same trouble.

I don't know where you are in CO, but I have no issues with any of mine, even with my old Remington 1100 with the rough textured finish. My firearms live either uncased or in soft cases in a locked room, I know the soft cases shouldn't be used for storage but it's just so dry here it doesn't seem to matter. I used to live a couple hundred yards from the beach and had a real problem with anything blued getting rusty no matter what I did.

The Remington 270 I bought new for my son this spring coating is garbage. It will start to show rust after one day of sitting in the stand. I have to keep it good and covered with oil to not rust, first gun to have this issues and I have several Rem 700's

Wow! It’s gonna take a minute to finish reading but I’m sure I’ll take something away from it. Thank you for sharing!

I wrote that review of outdoor gear care products mostly from a bowhunters perspective but it has direct applications to firearms and in fact most of the products were geared towards firearms.

Try using a silicone based or actually silicone spray.
We run swamp coolers here during the summer and my guns start to oxidize immediately.
Uncoated wire clothes hangers rust and stain my clothes.Anything not siliconed rusts(knives) 〽💥

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back