Caribou Gear Tarp

Elkhorn tag mt

I think it's great that ozmontana got the tag, he will have a blast. An important question does need to be asked. How the hell has Blain drawn this tag 3 times???? :p I need to have him buy me a Powerball ticket.

100% luck and with no land owner preference. I'll buy you a Powerball, but you'll need to give me 50% if you win:)

Having the 380 tag is a blast, but this tag can also be "the permit from hell".

No you haven't seen numerous 400" bulls in there because the science, data, and aerial surveys don't support it. It's possible that a 400" bull could live in the unit , on occasion, about every 20 years or so when conditions for horn growth are perfect and a bull gets old enough. But that's not the reality of unit 380 in most years.

I'm now considered an expert because I live in the unit, I have hunted the unit, I have horn hunted the unit, and I have rancher friends in the unit.

My advice to the OP is to get the number from the biologist of the mature bulls they count during aerial survey time. It is a real eye opener. It will make you wonder how they can give out 80 permits and still maintain a well balanced herd with good age structure.

So, in 20 plus years I have not accumulated numerous (as in more than one) sightings of bulls that would kiss 400 inches in there, on private land AND Forest? And this is due to me seeing them running through the timber and me exaggerating a 320 bull? OK I stand corrected.

If there's one thing I know about Ratfink, he will argue back at you till he's blue in the face. Hs quite an opinionated fellow.

So, in 20 plus years I have not accumulated numerous (as in more than one) sightings of bulls that would kiss 400 inches in there, on private land AND Forest? And this is due to me seeing them running through the timber and me exaggerating a 320 bull? OK I stand corrected.

Dude you need to pump the brakes and take a deep breath.

I have seen a few big bulls that I would range nearing 400. Given the time, at the time I think I can score within 25 points. One bull was the one on the list killed in the musseleshell in November. My dad had drawn the 410-20 tag and we could see the bull on the neibors ranch. 10,000 to hunt. I think the ranch was called the Galbreith. We were on the Browning. That bull was shot off a hay bell. Not very sporting.

Where is shit for brains? He's laying it on too thick that the unit sucks. All,those Helena guys are morons. Yup!

Where is shit for brains? He's laying it on too thick that the unit sucks. All,those Helena guys are morons. Yup!

Hmm.....1 a.m.

Beer for breakfast? :D

While I agree with Ratfink that the unit is not what it once was, it is still a damn good unit and I'd kill for the tag myself.

Good luck to the OP, PM me if you need any info, I gaze out my front door at the west side of the unit so I'm pretty familiar with the west side.

Glad it's Friday gents (and ladies)!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DTP1029
Back