Elkhorn tag mt

So I haven't seen numerous 400+ bulls in there because you guys all say so? Ok, I guess I was wrong then, they must not have been that big cause I must have no f*n clue what I am talking about and I didn't grow up in the f*n unit and don't have rancher friends that ranch in the f*n unit with said f*n bulls on their properties. And that's because you guys with that tag didn't kill a giant bull up Crow Creek, they must not be there.

The more I read your posts the more I realize you really are an expert. :W:

Toadslayer, we acknowledge that you have a fun clue about this fun unit and that you and your rancher friends have fun scoring those fun to see and fun to hunt bulls on the hoof ... but you will have to admit it's funny that most of us exaggerate antler size since any bull over about 320 inches appears to be the trophy of a lifetime at one hundred yards.

So I haven't seen numerous 400+ bulls in there because you guys all say so? Ok, I guess I was wrong then, they must not have been that big cause I must have no f*n clue what I am talking about and I didn't grow up in the f*n unit and don't have rancher friends that ranch in the f*n unit with said f*n bulls on their properties. And that's because you guys with that tag didn't kill a giant bull up Crow Creek, they must not be there.

No you haven't seen numerous 400" bulls in there because the science, data, and aerial surveys don't support it. It's possible that a 400" bull could live in the unit , on occasion, about every 20 years or so when conditions for horn growth are perfect and a bull gets old enough. But that's not the reality of unit 380 in most years.

I'm now considered an expert because I live in the unit, I have hunted the unit, I have horn hunted the unit, and I have rancher friends in the unit.

My advice to the OP is to get the number from the biologist of the mature bulls they count during aerial survey time. It is a real eye opener. It will make you wonder how they can give out 80 permits and still maintain a well balanced herd with good age structure.

I wanna see all the 400 inchers that came from 380. Sounds like lots of them. Actually, I wonder how many 400 plus inchers hit the ground in the WHOLE state each year. mtmuley

I wonder how many 400 plus inchers hit the ground in the WHOLE state each year. mtmuley

I would guess that on an average year there are between 0 and 2 400" gross bulls killed in the state. I'm betting that's pretty darn close.

Last edited:
Actually, I wonder how many 400 plus inchers hit the ground in the WHOLE state each year. mtmuley

Here are the NET typicals entered since time began (Four). Probably that gross over the 400" mark, but net below. Probably some that have never been entered.

B&C.jpg

And here are the non-typicals (Twenty-three).

NT.jpg

I don't see Jefferson or Broadwater counties on the list. HMMM those record keeper guys must all be liars. You know with all the 400" bulls coming out of 380 and all. There is a tiny sliver of 380 in Lewis and Clark county but it's not prime elk habitat like the Elkhorns are.

Last edited:
Completely unrelated but..........

If I see a Bull at 400 or 500 yards and come back to camp and tell you that i saw a ''400 Class Bull'' in so and so canyon and we kill it the next day and it tapes out at 380.................am I a Liar?

I'm just thinking back to all the ''guess the score'' threads I have seen and the wide range of opinions that guys come up with. Just wondering.

Scoring bulls on the hoof is tough. It takes a lot of practice. Liar? That's a little harsh when in your mind it maybe was a 400 inch bull. mtmuley

Scoring bulls on the hoof is tough. It takes a lot of practice. Liar? That's a little harsh when in your mind it maybe was a 400 inch bull. mtmuley

What is a ''400 class'' bull to most of you guys? How big is the margin of error? If a 380 isn't is a 385 or do you have to get inside 10 inches?

My advice to the OP is to get the number from the biologist of the mature bulls they count during aerial survey time. It is a real eye opener. It will make you wonder how they can give out 80 permits and still maintain a well balanced herd with good age structure.

If the data shows that the average bull getting taking there is over 7 years old.......I would say the age structure is just about right.

I think it's great that ozmontana got the tag, he will have a blast. An important question does need to be asked. How the hell has Blain drawn this tag 3 times???? :p I need to have him buy me a Powerball ticket.

Back