MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Elk with shotgun?

Lab

Daughter has a late season tag for a cow. Tons of elk are showing up outside of town on small ranchettes and neighborhood. Houses are very close and I don’t feel comfortable enough to let her use high powered rifle. Would a shotgun slug work in this situation? Felt like if I told landowners that shot would only carry 100 yards tops they would feel better about permitting her to hunt.

I think it would work fine. Obviously you'd still have to be very careful about where you were shooting. Can she draw enough weight with a bow to be effective?

It'd work fine given the range limitations. That said, I would have her use the rifle unless mandated by law. Slugs will carry alot farther than 100yds and are a bit more prone to skipping off the ground than one might think...

I've shot two elk with slugs and both died quickly on less-than-perfect shots.
As others have mentioned, while a shotgun might ease landowners' minds, there are a couple of things to think about:

- I wasn't aware of the increased risk of ricochet associated with a slug, but I would trust what has been said here;
- Shooting a slug will likely result in greater recoil. If your daughter can shoot a rifle accurately, but will flinch with a slug gun, I think the rifle will be a safer tool.

I also think that not being a douchebag, and just getting to know the landowners a bit and respecting their concerns will go further to ease their mind than the weapon you are shooting.

Slugs are like shooting a lugnut. They can deflect and tumble with a lot of energy. If you accidentally touched off a slug round in a 12 gauge at 33 degree angle above the horizon then the slug could travel almost 12 football fields before falling to the ground. I would prefer a hunter use a slug near my home rather than a rifle but you could get a pass through with a bullet and with a slug. They use buckshot for deer in some southern states where encounters are close and in brush. Those whitetail are usually less than 150 pounds on the hoof, though, rather than a 300 pound or larger cow elk.

She is not strong enough for a bow and has not practiced with one- What about a crossbow???
Daughter has a late season tag for a cow. Tons of elk are showing up outside of town on small ranchettes and neighborhood. Houses are very close and I don’t feel comfortable enough to let her use high powered rifle. Would a shotgun slug work in this situation? Felt like if I told landowners that shot would only carry 100 yards tops they would feel better about permitting her to hunt.

A crossbow would work well if it's legal. That would eliminate any concern about using a firearm near homes. I bet it would be much easier to get permission too.

2 and 3/4 20 gauge slug won't have a ton of recoil. Depending on shotgun used they are pretty effective further than you'd think. mtmuley

I've killed whitetail and muleys with buck-shot as well as slugs in MT if you could get sub 20 yards buckshot could be an option. (Disregard just saw you were in CO buckshot is illegal)

Last edited by a moderator:
Are they legal for use on big game in Colorado ? How about something like a 44 mag lever action rifle ? Might have a little less chance of pass through.

I love my slug gun but lack of recoil has never been its selling point. It will flat put it on you. No experience with it on elk but I wouldn't hesitate on any size deer at 200 yards with Hornady SST's and with my experience with the bullets I would think they would work for elk

She is very good with the rifle it’s just that where the Elk are are located in ranches and a housing development do not feel comfortable letting her shoot a high-powered rifle around that many people and that many houses I wouldn’t feel comfortable even if it was me. Also a wounded animal that dies in your neighbors yard would be bad juju 3 acres a max of land.
QUOTE=Steve in Canton;2663126]Why would you get her a tag if you are not confident in her shooting a rifle.[/QUOTE]

Are there any rules on shooting/hunting in proximity to houses? Most states have a minimum rule.

I'm not sure I would feel comfortable hunting around that many eyes watching. Sounds like a good way to have the cops called on you and ruin the experience, what little an urban elk hunt would offer anyway.

Even though a shotgun slug would do the job on an elk IMHO it wouldn't be any better to use it in the area you're talking about than a rifle since a lot of people don't realize the potential of a slug gun and the distance a slug will travel. If you can get her a little practice with a crossbow and get her into a decent distance that she can put a bolt in the boiler room I would go that route.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sept7872
Back