Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Elk roast prep

Dave N

Pulled an elk roast out to cook tomorrow and wanted to see how you folks prepare yours. Does anyone sear it all around first? A little beef broth in the slow cooker with some onion soup mix sprinkled on top? I don't usually cook my deer roasts as a "normal" roast dinner and don't want to have this elk turn out dry. There are some things that even gravy can't fix! Please and thank you!

If you have time, I'd suggest making corned elk out of it. Did that with an elk roast for st Patty's day and it was great. Moist too.

I like to sprinkle with salt and pepper dredge in flour sear it then into the crockpot with some broth till it's fall apart. Or I smoke it real low for 2-3 hours before adding to a crockpot or pot with enchilada sauce or such for Mexican shredded "beef". This stuff is my favorite makes a mean sandwich.download.jpeg-15.jpg

I think youre on the right track, I like the French onion and Broth as well. Think I might try to find some of WildWills Italian Beef seasoning for next year.

Elk roast and crock pot should never be used in the same sentence! Horrible way to ruin a roast.

It’s let come to room temp, sear in cast iron, season, then in the oven till internal temp is 120. Pull it let rest with the lid on for 20 min, temp will get to 125-127. Pull it out and let it rest then cut against the grain. Seasons again with salt and pepper.

Elk roast and crock pot should never be used in the same sentence! Horrible way to ruin a roast.

It’s let come to room temp, sear in cast iron, season, then in the oven till internal temp is 120. Pull it let rest with the lid on for 20 min, temp will get to 125-127. Pull it out and let it rest then cut against the grain. Seasons again with salt and pepper.
This is what I was looking for. A don't do that reply. The wife used to stick my deer roast in the crock pot and I never cared for it. I smoked some for roast beef type sandwiches and it's great that way but I was looking for more of a Sunday pot roast dinner type of meal. Thanks Tony!

This is what I was looking for. A don't do that reply. The wife used to stick my deer roast in the crock pot and I never cared for it. I smoked some for roast beef type sandwiches and it's great that way but I was looking for more of a Sunday pot roast dinner type of meal. Thanks Tony!
If you want pot roast go buy a chuck roast.

That elk roast is never going to be a traditional pot roast because it has no fat. It’s a medium rare slicing roast served like prime rib.

I’ve tried over and over, now I buy beef for pot roast. You just need that marbled fat in some cuts.

Last edited:
Yeah, maybe pot roast was the wrong term. Cooked as a roast and served with some roasted taters and carrots. I want to make good meals from the roasts and not make jerky!

Use the Crock Pot with Beef Broth enough to cover the roast, Garlic Powder, Dried Onion Flakes, one package of Brown Gravy mix, and cook on low the whole day. I start mine at around 6:30 in the morning and is ready by 5:00 in the evening. I like my roast falling apart. I save the juice in the Crock Pot to make Beef and Noodles the next day with the left over elk roast. We probably eat 8-10 elk roasts a year and my boys and wife always prefer an elk roast to a beef roast. If you have any left freeze the roast in the juice in a vacuum sealed bag that way next time you can just thaw it and warm up in a pot.

I've never found a crockpot recipe I like with wild game. They are always dry and stringy, with a lot of juice and gravy to try to make up for the nasty dry ass meat YMMV. I'd take an instapot roast over a crock pot. I instapot neck roasts and they come out really well. Nothing special, just a bay leaf or 3 and a cup of beef broth, plus salt/pepper.

My favorite way is set roast so it comes to room temp. Then coat with your favorite spices, go liberal on the salt, let it sit for 30 min or so. Then sear on high all sides, finish in a 450deg oven to 125deg internal, remove from pan and let rest for 10 min or so. This should put you right in the rare-med-rare range. I cook at about one roast a week like this, and its by far the easiest and preferred method.

Second favorite is liberally coat (slathered) in spiced and salted butter, cook at 450-500 deg oven. Cook to 125 internal. pull out, rest, etc.

I like to sous vide my elk roasts at 125 with a temp probe in the middle. Once the middle is at 125 I’ll take it out and then sear for a few minutes on each side and let rest for 15 min. Slice against the grain and top with horse radish and au ju and it’s better than prime rib. I’ve made the mistake of leaving it in the sous vide for too long and it got way too mushy and had to toss it out.

I like to sous vide my elk roasts at 125 with a temp probe in the middle. Once the middle is at 125 I’ll take it out and then sear for a few minutes on each side and let rest for 15 min. Slice against the grain and top with horse radish and au ju and it’s better than prime rib. I’ve made the mistake of leaving it in the sous vide for too long and it got way too mushy and had to toss it out.
I’ve done this quite a bit too. I sear it first, then season, then souse vide. Hard to go wrong with this unless it’s left too long.

The secret it not dry is olive oil. Drop a couple glugs in there. My wife's would always turn out dry because she would not. Then she was surprised when they weren't turning out dry anymore and she couldn't figure out what changed.

Yeah, she caught me.

There is/was a great roast post by @Randy11 years ago. I used the basics of his post for a bunch of roasts over the years. I couldn’t locate the post to link to it today

There is/was a great roast post by @Randy11 years ago. I used the basics of his post for a bunch of roasts over the years. I couldn’t locate the post to link to it today
Yeah, I did a quick search but didn't come up with much so I made this one.

In a dutch oven, put 7-10 garlic cloves and several sprigs of fresh rosemary into hot avocado oil until the smell becomes obvious (couple minutes at most). Sear roast on all sides then add 1/3 cup of red wine vinegar. Add water until roast is about half covered then cover with lid and decrease heat so that you just hear the water bubbling inside. Cook 1.5-2 hrs depending on size and desired doneness , and add vegetables 1 hr before done (I use whole mini potatoes, mini onions, carrots, and kale). Add salt and pepper after serving.

Some animals are just too tough for this method but most turn out well.

They are always dry and stringy, with a lot of juice and gravy to try to make up for the nasty dry ass meat YMMV. I'd take an instapot roast over a crock pot.

thank you
agree 100%
when my Wife brought me a yard sale find of a Nesco electric pressure cooker (she got it for $15) and I used it the first time I told her she could through my crockpot in the trash

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rds
Back