Elk retrive

Rooster52

Going prepaired.got Cabela's big Game Sled,one wheel cart and back pack. Leaving Michigan on October 18th for cow elk and antelope Wyoming.Getting ready.

Used a sled for the first time last year and it was great. Especially if there is any snow on the ground at all.

Now just have to figure out how to use them all at once and you'll have that elk out in one trip..

I've done several elk in a sled in one trip on snow without help. A few things I've learned... I break them down - pull the shoulders and legs off but don't necessarily bone or skin them. I thrown the backstraps etc in a game bag. You should put everything in a game bags to keep them clean as stuff will fall in as you go through the sage or sticks. Mesh bags will snag on branches at and rip so use heavy game bags.

Going downhill can be exciting. I guess the trick is to tie ropes in the front center of the sled so that they drag under the sled. You tie knots in the ropes to generate drag to help control the sled. Resist the temptation to ride that sled down a big hill :D

By far the best sled I have used was one with a waist belt designed for cross country skiing.

Last edited:
I've had a drag sled for a couple of years and I love it, especially on snow or frozen ground.
Got my sled right AFTER carrying a deer out on my shoulders for about a mile. Yep, been there, done that, and don't want to do it again.
I have seen areas where a sled with wheels is actually considered a "wheeled vehicle" and are illegal on some of the trails. No kidding. So make sure you check the regs if you have a sled with wheels.
Best wishes.

--Dana

Yep

I've had a drag sled for a couple of years and I love it, especially on snow or frozen ground.
Got my sled right AFTER carrying a deer out on my shoulders for about a mile. Yep, been there, done that, and don't want to do it again.
I have seen areas where a sled with wheels is actually considered a "wheeled vehicle" and are illegal on some of the trails. No kidding. So make sure you check the regs if you have a sled with wheels.
Best wishes.

--Dana

Yep, in a Wilderness area you can't have anything with wheels of any kind.

Kevin

I used a fishing ice sled last November on a bull and it worked great. I packed the quarters to the top of the ridge and used the sled the last mile. I've had a bad experience with a game cart. With two guys can take turns pulling and it should work well. Good luck

I would rather use a back pack than a game cart, if it is rough ground. The sled is fantastic on snow, but not that great on dry. In snow, I just pull it to the edge of a ridge and give it a kick. I have gained over a hundred yards a couple times doing that. I took out all the meat from a big cow elk last fall in one trip and I am old!

Wheel mark in a wilderness area

As for having a wheel game retrieval cart in a wilderness, I think that's ridiculous. I live near some of Colorado's wilderness areas, and see the realities of what is going on there. I have horses, and love to ride and pack them into the forests. That said, I think a horse, under wet conditions can really tear up a trail. (A herd of range cattle is worse). I understand the USFS is trying to protect & preserve these areas, however the actual environmental damage you could do with a game cart is miniscule compared to both the naturally occurring damages from Mother Nature, and other types of users.
I can't remember ever seeing any environmental damage done by a mountain bike either. Even an ATV track is usually pretty minimal, however their use in the backcountry is a different argument.
That's my 2 cents.

After applying in Montana for twenty years, I finally drew a moose permit and after a fun fall scouting and watching a lot of moose I took a nice bull. There was a skiff of snow so hauled him out in six trips on my heavy plastic sled. It worked great but was a long day and way too many miles dragging like a mule. ('Should have shot him on the weekend when my son was with me.)

The bull was hanging out in the willows and tasted like a tough, bitter willow tree. Other moose meat tasted was excellent, so what a disappointment and I donated much to the Raptor Recovery Center. Then some SOB spotted the antlers on my wood shed, trespassed across the pasture and stole the only worthwhile trophy of my hunt.

The moose episode was a bummer, but the plastic sled worked like a dream and since has hauled out many elk. I'm not as tough as Rob so it usually requires a couple of trips or a day of shuttling for this old mule.

I use the cheap plastic K-Mart type sleds. Drill holes in the sides and lash the load in. Dang near tube shaped, and will skid over anything. Gone as far as 4 and1/2 miles with them. mtmuley

I own a two wheel cart but find it to bulky to handle. the plastic sl
ed or my one wheel cart works best.

Menards has a black plastic sled I was looking at for this same purpose

It seems perfect for a drag sled

I also like the cheapos cause they are light and will stack together. I can take two or three in alone, then have friends meet me when they are loaded. If I have to do it myself, I usually leap frog them out. The small cheapos work better than the bigger, heavier sleds in tight places like downfall or rocks.mtmuley

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WW2 Buff
Back