Elk Pictures w/ Score

This one is 309

Attachments

• FA1E6859-D06B-4C3E-AA79-EB2BBE0D3634.jpeg
    FA1E6859-D06B-4C3E-AA79-EB2BBE0D3634.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 29
Probably should have spent more time like the OP before this year. Watched last year's bull for a few scouting weekends from over a mile away. Opening day at 100 yards realized he wasn't as big as I thought...
Thin beams really make them look longer!
266 7/8
I have alot of video footage if anyone requests. If I posted screenshots I'd have arguments it's different, but it's the same bull. Heat waves really seem to affect antler size.
1000001127.jpg1000001169.jpg

Last edited:
I will say as a self taught hunter that 260s bull taught me alot. Glassing from over a mile in thermal heat waves can make that elk look like 350s at time and at other angles the antlers just about disappeared. Because of that I probably could have guessed the mass wasn't very much.

Since then I've heard a bull nose to antlers base roughly 16" on a mature bull, that's helped some rechecking my videos.

Probably should have spent more time like the OP before this year. Watched last year's bull for a few scouting weekends from over a mile away. Opening day at 100 yards realized he wasn't as big as I thought...
Thin beams really make them look longer!
266 7/8
View attachment 313843View attachment 313844
A lack of mass can be misleading. But when you see mass - you know it. Tine length and main beam length make up most of the score but aesthically a heavy set of antlers is the coolest thing for me.

I cant post pics with known scores - all my elk were raghorns. The elk i shot with a rifle has average whitetail mass and is incredibly short and the archery bull is also a trophy to me (first archery kill!) but not worth scoring.

IMG_5425.jpeg
Bull I just took down from a very high spot on the wall in order to remove the stupid gold paint. Score? Any tips on getting rid of the spray paint?

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SmokinHunter
Back