Elk on plane

Guttermantx

Ok live in Texas looking at hunting northern Idaho
Plane ticket and rental are $450 round trip. Driving is 25 hrs. Me and hunting buddy going
If we get on bulls and get one or two down what’s the best way to get meat back if we fly. And horns??

By the time you buy coolers and what not you are probably better off to just drive out for the hunt and have maximum flexibility.

One thing that never ceases to amaze me is how many people do not eat what they kill do good on you for figuring this out ahead of time. Most guys would just fly out and get a rental to trash while hunting, donate the meat and ship the horns via UPS to the taxi and fly home.

One great idea posted here by others is to buy a freezer where you are to haul the meat home. Then use it to store the meat or sell on craigslist.

I live in NY and have hunted elk out west 5 times... flew 3 times... MUCH easier and convenient to drive. And cheaper! Have bought cheap coolers, processed the meat and shipped it home. 1 time went great, 1 time not as good. Both cost on average 450 for shipping. Then another 150 for separate shipping of the rack. I dont think I'll ever fly again to a hunt when bringing back meat is involved. I'm driving to BC in 8 weeks....42 hr drive!

Much cheaper and easier to fly out there and drive home, if you kill something. Shipping meat and antlers home is expensive.

Me and and buddy drove from Northern Montana to Central Texas to hog hunt we drove just because of the expense of getting the meat would've cost an arm and a leg to ship and that was in February.

My buddy and I drove from Flagstaff AZ to Prince Geoge BC for a moose and bear hunt. We arranged ahead of time to get a U-Haul trailer that needed to come back to the states reserved for us. We drove from Flagstaff to Lake Louise AB in 23 hours doing four hour shifts stopping only for gas and customs and a dinner stop in Pocatello ID. Stayed overnight and enjoyed the Icefields Pkwy on the way to Prince George. Seven days later we were back in PG had two 50 inch moose processed and frozen and two black bear hides salted and skulls pretty clean. We bought several sheets of 4 inch foam insulation and lined the trailer floor and sides and turned it into rolling "refer". Packed the meat (frozen in cardboard boxes) and wrapped our down bags around the boxes and piled the remaining foam on top and drove home over two days with only one stop for speeding near Panquitch UT. Every box was still rock hard when we unpacked in Flagstaff. This can be done with one driver but would probably add a day coming and going. GJ

Last edited:
If you must fly, bring the frozen meat home on the plane as baggage. Most airlines charge increasingly more with every additional bag. Free...$25...$50...$75...etc. Usually your 3rd bag will cost as much as an oversize/overweight bag so at that point you might as well be packing 100# worth. The antlers I would ship. Split the skull cap, cutting it in a V rather than a straight line so that it locks into place better when reconnecting them. Also, prior to splitting, take spread measurements from each point. Tape pieces of rubber hose or spent shotgun shells onto the antler tips so that they don't poke through the box.

I drove from central California to northern BC two time to bring my moose meat cape and antlers. 2200 plus miles! Three days each way

I fly every year - nearly 15 trips now. I tAke the horns as baggage $150 on Delta - tape them together and tape 1” cut tube on the end of each horn. Process the meat at a local butcher. Have the butcher ship the meat FedX2 day in late Dec/Jan when it’s cold. Shipping to a business is a little cheaper than a residence. Cost is about $3/lb. You can also ship a lesser amount and donate the balance or as suggested take some on the plane with you.

my buddies and I live in PA and we drive out (27 hrs). So much easier then flying once you get an animal down.

Drive you won't regret the road trip. Besides hauling all your duds back in forth through an airport, tsa and hard to deal with airline employees isn't much fun. On top of that it will cost a fortune to get the meat back trust me I've done it once with an elk never again. A smaller animal is a different story I'd fly with deer sized game all day.

Deer and smaller fly anything bigger isn't worth it. Another option is to see if someone is driving out that lives close to you and see if the have room or mind hauling it back for you. Offer some cash or meat and I bet you would get some takers. I have considered renting a refrigerated box truck and contacting people close to me to see if they would be willing to pay for me to haul meat for them. Not sure of the legality of that though??

My method: Send the antlers home via a taxidermist that does euros or ship the skull cap home via UPS. Take the meat home as luggage, deboned/processed and frozen, in cheap coolers duct taped shut, under 50lb each.

Depends on who you're flying. I fly from Philadelphia via SW. Two free checked bags and last year I had two coolers and the attendant at the counter in Denver didn't even charge me the standard $75 overweight fee. Even slapped on the overweight stickers. Of course, my buddy drives in from IL so he takes my gear with him back to IL and ships it back to me. Even if I didn't have that luxury, I think I would still opt to fly. SW charges $75 for anything up to 100lbs. Additional bags under 50lbs for gear is an additional $75. So for four bags, two of which are overweight, you're looking at $300. Small price to pay IMO. I doubt you could ship meat home via FedEx or UPS 2day at that price. Options for antlers are to ship back home or check them. Most airlines require you to split the skull cap if I'm not mistaken.

Edit: I will preface that I gave my buddy meat to keep as well so maybe my entire post is moot. Check out air cargo too. Most airlines offer that at reasonable prices.

Last edited:
Another option to consider is uship. Its a website that connects carriers with shippers. They will ship processed meat anywhere in the country. I have a friend that used the service. He bought a deep freezer and got the meat frozen solid, packed it with dry ice and shipped it from Montana to Tulsa for about $300.

Going thru these same gyrations for my NV elk hunt. Already committed to flying. Wonder if anyone rents coolers out of Boise. Otherwise, probably buy cheap ones from Walmart and return afterwards. My problem is the trailhead is 2 hours from nearest icehouse and I’m renting llamas to get deep (up to 7 miles). I want the meat. These ideas help. I’m flying SWA so I’ve got that going for me.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1sockeye2
Back