Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Elk Meat ?

His idea of smelling like "elk" may be completely different than yours especially if he's never eaten much of it before.

I've eat'n on a couple bulls that were a bit elky flavored, but not inedible. But I'm sure it was because we didn't take care of them "properly." :rolleyes:

Are you frying the $hit out of them, or are you cooking them somewhat rare? I too have never had a gamey tasting elk. I shot a muley buck one year that you could smell from 40 feet he was so rank with piss. He was the best eating deer I ever had, swollen neck and all.

Even if you puncture the bladder or gut shoot an animal, if you properly care for and properly butcher it after that it shouldn't make one darned bit of difference.

"Something" happened to the meat. Could be any of the things outlined above.

Just keep in mind they are usually very good eating and don't let this one throw you off

Well then let me recomend Not taking game to H&H Processing in Meker Col.

An old guy had a place just south of Meeker on the right that always treated us good. He drove a big horn truck, I think his son was taking it over.
H & h isnt that semi trailer doubling as a processing plant?

Saying western meat tastes like sage brush is like saying Nebraska white-tails taste like alfalfa or corn. It is bs. It always cracks me up when I hear someone say that antelope tastes like sage-NOT! If it tastes bad it was probably because you gave it a ride around in your truck for four hours before taking care of it.

FYI, nobody said it tasted like sage. It will cause a more "gamey" taste.

You saying a animals diet doesn't affect the flavor of the meat is not correct. Read "Effects of feeds on flavor of red meat" by a guy named Melton. It pertains to beef, but the concept is the same. Different plants break down differently to form different amino acids, which in turn cause different flavors.

Basically a lower energy diet(sage being that) will cause a more "gamey" taste in anmials.

Last edited:
Sorry you're disappointed in your elk. I would rather eat elk than lobster any day. I agree on the try and brine it for a while....

Last edited:
Bummer! never take your elk to the processor. I took my first deer to the processor and thought I'd never kill or eat wild game again after that. After eating some of my family's deer which they processed I gave it another try and butchered it all myself and what a difference. It's the only way to go.

As others have mentioned, make sure to cut all silver and fat off. I don't even keep the silver or tendon through the steaks, it's all removed.

A buddy of mine soaks his meat in salt water for a bit, then lets it sit in butter milk over night. He claims it helps remove any gamey flavor. I've never had to worry about it though since we started caring for all of our meat. If all else fails, take it back in to get pepperoni. Good luck!

all very good points. I had also heard about the sage taste of antelope. . .I have cooked up a few of my antelpoe steaks and they were great, no sage taste at all!! Buttermilk or bacon makes it all better!! I like to eat it without a bunch of extras so I get the whole taste thing.

first off I never take anything to a processor.

It may be that the meat didn't have time to age. If you dropped it off at 5pm, he may have cut it up that evening or the next day. I like to let my elk and deer hang for 7-10 days before I cut them up. You may try leaving a package of your elk in the fridge for a week and then cooking it. Can't hurt!

It may be that the meat didn't have time to age. If you dropped it off at 5pm, he may have cut it up that evening or the next day. I like to let my elk and deer hang for 7-10 days before I cut them up. You may try leaving a package of your elk in the fridge for a week and then cooking it. Can't hurt!

Don't do this, good way to get sick. Wild game does not and should not be aged. Take a bit of backstrap right off the elk onto the fire and I bet it tastes as good as one that has hung around a bit.

Years ago my wife and I worked our way thru an elk I had shot and when I ran out of burger I went to the store and bought some beef. My wife came into the kitchen hoppin mad at the smell and was telling me the elk was rotten and smelled bad and just look at it in the pan! I calmly said it was beef to my ranch raised wife.:D

With that been said, I do find roasts to have a slightly more "gamey" flavor that steaks or burgers, must be the way if cook them.

Don't do this, good way to get sick. Wild game does not and should not be aged. Take a bit of backstrap right off the elk onto the fire and I bet it tastes as good as one that has hung around a bit.

Years ago my wife and I worked our way thru an elk I had shot and when I ran out of burger I went to the store and bought some beef. My wife came into the kitchen hoppin mad at the smell and was telling me the elk was rotten and smelled bad and just look at it in the pan! I calmly said it was beef to my ranch raised wife.:D

With that been said, I do find roasts to have a slightly more "gamey" flavor that steaks or burgers, must be the way if cook them.

I too have been told that wild game doesn't need the hang time as they don't have the same enzymes to break down than beef. Fact is, I've done both and personally havnen't noticed a difference.

Bowelkstalker, Fiver showed me a method of cooking a roast that you should try. Throw the frozen roast in the crock pot, fill it with water, and put in about 2 tablespoons of "Better than Bouillion" paste that you can get at almost any store. I cook on higher temp in the slow cooker for about 8 hrs.........Our families favorite now, even better than backstraps!

I butcher my own too and always let the meat age for 5 to 7 days - assuming of course it's not too warm to do so. As already mentioned several times, it's important to remove the sinew, silver skin, etc.

Can you provide any sources to back this up? I've never heard that.

I too would like to know thoughts on this. An old timer in Alaska that we hunt with likes to hang it until that dark almost black crust gets on it. As long as it's cool enough it will even get a litlle mold on it. He promises me that the meat is more tender doing this than cutting it up immediately. I remember reading this stuff in the Alaska F&G book as well. Here's some reading and good info IMO.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=hunting.meatcare

I have always heard it is not neccessary to hang wild game because, unlike beef, the meat is not marbled with fat. It is this marbled fat that breaks down and makes beef tender, but since wild game is not marbled there is no reason to hang it.

Bowelkstalker, Fiver showed me a method of cooking a roast that you should try. Throw the frozen roast in the crock pot, fill it with water, and put in about 2 tablespoons of "Better than Bouillion" paste that you can get at almost any store. I cook on higher temp in the slow cooker for about 8 hrs.........Our families favorite now, even better than backstraps!

That's it? Nothing else involved?? I will have to try for sure!

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sept7872
Back