Elk Hunting/Scouting Ethics During Season

ND_Hooligan

As I have posted before I was lucky enough to draw a NM elk 2nd season rifle tag this year. I am also fortunate enough to have enough vacation to be able to be in the unit 7 days before my season actually starts and plan on taking full advantage of this time to do some scouting prior to hunting. This however puts me out there to scout right during the first rifle season. My question to you is there any ethics issue as to scouting an area during another person's hunting season. By scouting I mean treating it just like an actual hunt, packing into areas and all of that. If anyone else is hunting a particular area and I were to bump into them I would absolutely leave no questions asked and let them hunt but with that being said how far away should I stay from other hunters? If there are trucks parked at trailheads should a person stay out? I'm sure there are many other scenarios I am not thinking of right now.

Just trying to get a feel for what other hunters think as I have never scouted during an open season before.

Go scout. You are out there to find out where the elk are. There are no rules, just ethics.
Travel light, stay high, bring good glass and plan on going a long ways out.
the other hunters will be more than happy to hear what you saw. Most are not willing to
go more than 3-4 miles out. Nothing like making friends
when you help pack out someone elses critter.
Yeah, some will be territorial. that's fine, just smile and move on. You are not competition
at this point. Just don't ruin their hunt.
You're over thinking this. you'll be fine

I scouted for my late rifle elk hunt in Arizona during the archery season. I never did run into other hunters when I was in the field, but I did my best to not chase bugles and blow out elk. Do the best you can as far as scouting without intentionally stirring up the elk too much and you should be ethically fine.

As an aside, during scouting I typically don't wear my camo (Colorado hippies are always around, judging) and instead I'll wear my solid outdoor clothes. But in the case that you're scouting during rifle season I wouldn't personally wear anything too elk colored on the off chance someone gets a little overly excited and flings lead at anything they think is an elk. It's unlikely but it does happen from time to time...best to wear something that couldn't in any way be mistaken for an elk.

Have a great scout/hunt!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back