Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Elk hunting in Montana for a Brit?

Actually you are correct, you cant imagine how excited we are, we got the application complete (with the help of a top guy on here instant messaging us) and went straight up the pub to celebrate, fingers and everything else crossed now.
Yes we have decided where we are going to hunt, south of Bozeman for Elk and East of Bozeman for deer!

Hunting where i live, there is no public hunting land, period!
You either have to be very rich and own your own land (i'm not either), know a friendly farmer (i know several) or pay for your deer hunting.
No license is required.
The deer in this country are Red, Fallow, Sika, Roe, Muntjac, Chinese water deer, and we have also got wild boar.
The deer population is increasing year on year, not enough females get shot, and lots of anti's refusing permission to hunt on their property.

In addition i think we have the strictest firearms controls in the world, you cant get a shotgun/rifle unless you have a very good reason, and can prove it, have an interview with the police, have the land approved by the police for rifle hunting, a handgun may be issued to a deer hunter for humane destruction of a deer, but must only be a 2 shot, these rarely get approved, step out of line, say caught drunk driving and you risk losing your guns, and the only people to own real handguns are the drug dealers.

Anyway we will take a camera and film the hunt and report back.

Cheers

Richard

good luck to you hope you guys' have a trip of a life time. The way you put it should make everyone who lives here really appreciate the public lands we have as well as the gun laws.

Good luck to you in the draw Richard ! I hope you get your tags , have a safe enjoyable trip and hunt. Leave that fishing gear at home and focus on the big game.LOL.

That's it, no going back now, just booked and paid for the tickets.
Arrive Bozeman 27th October, depart 13th November.
Thanks for all your advice in getting me to this stage.
I am getting a real itchy trigger finger now.
Cheers
Richard

Good luck!

I'm sure you'll have a great trip with lots of memories.

Hard to imagine bow hunting being illegal or not being able to have as many guns as your safe will hold and then some.

Have a good one.

Nice, I hope you bought the combo tag to do some muley hunting while your out there.They will send you a block management book showing where to find them all.And, the deer hunting will be getting real good right before you leave.Might as well go home with 2 trophies

What is this block management book that you speak. I didn't receive one. Still trying to figure out which units to hunt in the sw

Best of luck DD on your elk hunt! Certainly a great adventure to have a go at.

huntfit and myself are planning a self guided elk/deer hunt in 2014 in one of the back country units and logistically it is one heck of a challenge doing it all off your own back without help and coming from an overseas country.

So i hope you guys do well and i certainly look forward to hearing some updates on any challenges you overcome and how the hunt went, although it sounds like you are hunting general areas on the later opening dates.

Great to see other keen guys prepared to travel for an adventure!

Shoot straight.

Start documenting now. Take pictures or video now. At the range. With you first elk call. As you pack.... The adventure has already started.

I started doing that last year with my wife. Just little clips of randomness before our hunts. She put it all together with the video I took during out hunts and it was the best Christmas present I have ever gotten. Just taking a picture of the kill is like waiting untill your kid is holding a degree to take a picture. Capture it all.

The adventure has already started!

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CheyenneKennedy
Back