Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Elk hunting in Montana for a Brit?

devon deer

Hello All fellow hunters
My first post so a short introduction.
I shoot a Sako .22, .243 and a Browning X-Bolt in 30-06.
I hunt red deer, fallow deer and roe deer, also shoot fox and other vermin.
In addition i love fly fishing, and as a living i guide and instruct fly fishing in the UK and to a lesser extent take people out deer stalking.
Been fishing in MT,CO and WY.
But no hunting.
So here is my question, and i think this is the site than can give me some good advice.
It has been my dream to come over the pond and do a hunt for Elk.
I can't afford an outfitter so that is why i need some serious advice from serious hunters.
So is a unguided hunt a possibility for a Brit?
I think i understand the tag system.
I have plenty of time to do some research, especially if i don't get lucky with a tag in the first year of application.
And what is the fishing like that time of the year?
Many thanks
Richard Jackson

In 2002 I have never hunted an elk in my life. I spent a lot of time on web sites learning and researching. I drew a limited entry tag in CO and hunted public ground. I called in a 4x4 opening morning and had 9 other elk walk past me at 40 yards. I had called in another bull on my second to last day. Had him from 200 yards down to 50 but couldnt get him closer. Repositioned on him and called in a nice cow and punched an arrow through her and watched her drop within 30 yards. I did it unguided by myself with a bow. You should be able to get it done with that 30-06 you have. Do some research and it can be done. This is the place to get some advice. You just need to decide if you are meat hunting or trophy hunting. Look at a couple of states that have good chances to draw like CO, WY, MY ID. There is a resource out there that can do some scouting and help you out with gear if you need it so you don't have to pack/fly in everything. www.hunthardcore.com They rent gear and can scout for you. I have bought several items from Dan. He is a good resource. With the Montana all inclusive you also have your fishing license as well.

Also, welcome to the forum! Our fearless leader is currently in AZ chasing speedgoats, eating DQ Blizzards and drinking Latte's at Starbucks. Living the dream.

Last edited:
Welcome to the site Devon.

I don't think there are any restrictions on Non-Resident Aliens in MT. Some states have restrictions, but I don't believe CO or MT is one of them. It should be listed on the permit application. The window for application is I think February 1 through March 15, and they will let you know if you have secured a permit by around April 15. Its a lottery system, so its not a sure thing to get a permit, but should be pretty close.

Your permit will allow you to hunt elk, deer and upland birds, and also allow you to fish.

The fishing usually starts to taper off around the 15th or October, which is about a week before rifle season opens for deer/elk. Depending on how cold the weather has been the fishing can be streched out a bit longer if the bugs are still active. Once the big terestrials die off and the water temps start dropping the fishing slows up a bit, but still decent with big streamers.

I would think your biggest hurdle will be importing your firearm into the US. I hear its a real PITA. If you know of someone you could possibly borrow from that would help a lot, or another optoin would be to go archery hunting.

I much perfer to bow hunt for elk than rifle. The season is roughly the first weekend of September through the middle of October. Its harder to kill one, but not that much. You'll typically see a lot more elk, get to see the leaves change, hear the elk bugle, and the fishing is OUTSTANDING in September.

Good luck with your planning.

One thing to consider is that most states require that you complete a hunter education class. You likely don't have to worry about it in MT, as you only need it if born after Jan.1, 1985. The cutoff is Jan. 1, 1966 in WY, however, and Jan. 1, 1949 in Colorado. Most states accept certificates from other states, but I'm not sure how a non-resident alien can qualify without taking a class here. I know that many states offer on-line courses, but there is usually a "field day" component that you must attend. This link might be helpful.
http://www.hunter-ed.com/

Thanks for the help and advice so far chaps.
Not bothered about hunting a trophy.
Just wondered about fitting in some fishing if i had time and the opportunity arose.
Bow hunting, that is something i have never tried, the reason i haven't is it was banned in the UK many years ago, and in case i haven't got any equipment or clue how to use it, so for the sake of the elk its better i leave that to the experts.
Carrion Carrier, thanks for the offer, if you are over my side of the pond one day look me up.
Cheers
Richard

I don't use the 06, but I would think 180gr would do fine.
Also, What Oak said on HUNTER ED. In Montana you most likely will be fine. But if you plan on another state it may be required. This may be some of your important research too..

I use the 180 grain nosler partitions federal premiums for elk. Seems to do good for me.

Sorry guys another question, my friend has expressed an interest in coming over with me.
He is a very keen deer hunter just like me, although sadly not a fly fisherman....yet!
When we apply for a Montana Non Resident big game tag can we apply as a party, or do we apply individually?
There would be nothing worse than one of us obtaining a tag and the other not.
Many thanks
Richard

You can apply as a party...if you're applying for the deer/elk combination license, draw odds will likely be really close to 100%.

Application in

Left it until the last minute (personal problems at home) but me and my friend applied for our NR combo tag tonight, so now we just wait until the end of April to see if we will be chasing a Montana Elk or Deer later this year, just got to hide my credit card bill from the wife when it drops through the door!
Thanks for the help to date from the forum and the pm's.
Cheers
Richard

Good luck to you in the draw. Cant imagine the excitement of a brit coming to the US for a DIY elk hunt :D

No doubt. I think Big Fin should do a show with these guys, let all the lazy American hunters know just how good we have it and how important it is to keep it that way.

Maybe Devon could enlighten us on how hunting works across the pond.

Good luck Richard. I hope the draw is kind to you guys. I'm sure we'll be hunting together soon ;)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back