Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Elk hunting boots

Unfortunately, I feel like buying boots is a coin toss. Feet are unique.

I hunted on Danners for years, then decided to step up to the plate and purchased a pair of Kenetrek Mountain Extremes(400s). My brother had been hunting on the same model for a couple years, including some week long backpacking trips and he loved them.

I gave them one season, went through enough moleskin to raise the Titanic, and sold them off. I don't believe it is because those boots are bad boots, they just didn't work for my paws.

I've been wearing 8 " Danner Mountain Assaults (China!) and they worked well on some heavy pack-outs last year.

One thing that I have done when purchasing boots that has helped me : Feel the inside of both boots with your hand very carefully for any folded material, ridges, or irregularities that occur on one boot, but not the other. The tiniest irregular bump or ridge can cause blisters over the course of many mountain miles.

I've had great boots that fit well from Meindl, Lowa, Asolo, and Vasque.

I tried Kennetrek. Great quality, and I wanted them to work for me, but the heel box was too sloppy.

Like stated above. Do not skimp on boots. I am on my second pair of Kenetrex Mountain Extreems. the first ones lasted 5 years (still good on moderate ground but sloppy on steep). The second ones are on there third year and feel just right. Excellent for side hill walking in steep country. Lots of ankle support. The first hunt I did with them, We climbed 3000' elevation in 3.5 Miles with some very steep areas. Made a believer out of me. People either love them or hate them.
Good luck!
John

I'm just the opposite of most of you guys, I want the lightest, most tennis shoe like boot I can find.

I've come off the mountain with some pretty heavy loads on my back and not once did I ever wish for heavier boots!
Absolutely. Anyway, hope Lathrop does the trick for the op.

Meindl Perfekt Hunters. Put 'em on and go hunting. No break in required. Not the cheapest, but far from the most expensive. Your feet will thank you.

Are there any really good breathable boots? I sweat something fierce and have always been scared off by the big leathery mountain boots, figuring they would just keep the moisture in more than various lightweight hikers. Obviously this means I should skip the insulated ones, but I'd love a recommendation on good, tall, easy-breathing boots.

lots of great recommendations here to choose from most you cant go wrong lowa, crispe, mindels, kentreks, time is running out now is the time to buy and get them broke in call danner visit there website if you like danner they also have some great mountain boots that will fit the bill, my recomendation take two pair rotate in the woods save your feet also invest in great socks

I can't imagine spending that much money on a pair of boots for them to only last a couple of years.
My current pair of boots is on year 14. I don't wear them every day, only hunting whether it's deer, elk, small game.

Work (construction) and hunting Gr8.....they are seldom not worn...worth every cent.

I recently went through buying a new pair of boots. I ended up trying on boots made by Kenetrek, Lowa, Crispi, Schnee's, and Hanwag. Ended up going with the Hanwag Alaska GTX. I agree with Big Fin if you're elk hunting you want a nice boot pronghorn by dancers work fine for bird hunting or whitetail ground but your feet will be raw by the first night.

whatever you end up getting, make sure they are broke in well before you leave, nothing worse than not being able to walk because you're feet are solid blisters!

I have not had great luck with my Kennetreks. So I switched to Meindls and again had issues so I've put Superfeet insoles in them and they are already feel amazing. We shall see this upcoming bear season how they perform.

Looks like asking for boot recomendations is as bad as asking which it the "best" caliber for all around hunting. We all have a different opinion on what has worked for us.

I am 6 foot 2inches and weigh anywhere depending from 215 to 235lbs. I have the worst flat feet and an odd bow legged gait. I wear boots out fast. Even really good boots! I really liked the fit and comfort of various Meindle boots but they honestly were worn out after one year. I had to own atleast 10 pair! I still use the 800 gram version on late winter hunts and it has held up great but really gets minimal use. I have owned Kenetrek Mountain boot and really liked it also. However, even with alternating with hangwag the kenetrek wore out faster and the hangwag seemed to be my go to boot. I am always looking for a better boot!!!! I am currently interested in the zamberlands or I might just get another pair of hangwags. Has anyone purchased the new kenetrek with the ankle stays?

......... buying boots is a coin toss. Feet are unique.

^^^^ That should be the required answer for every thread about boots.

I have Fred Flinstone feet- wide and flat. My heels are wide. For me, Kenetreks have been the best solution I have found. I tried other high quality boots that my friends find very comfortable and they killed me. One of my friends has long skinny feet that has a huge arch. He finds Kenetreks very comfortable also. Yet, other friends find more comfort from one of the other brands mentioned here.

Your feet are the critical part of backpack elk hunting. I would save some money on other gear before I would skimp on my boots.

Probably been stated a few times, but go and try on the boots at a store and make sure the boot platform is a good fit for the unique features of your foot. If it feels good to your foot, you probably will have no problems.

^^^^ That should be the required answer for every thread about boots.

Agreed. I would liken a good mountain boot to ski boots. Having grown up skiing all my life there have always been certain brands that fit certain feet, and as much as I wanted to wear Technicas or Langes, they just didn't fit my feet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back