Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Elk hunting boots

Trigger50

I'm doing my 1st elk hunt in 2013. It will be a CO blackpowder hunt in Unit 66. Very steep country at treeline. I need new boots. Can you guys help narrow my search? I personally love Danner Pronghorn Classic boots. But I dont know it they will work or hold up in the steep country. I will probably go non-insulated for the sept hunt that will involve alot of hiking. Thanks for the suggestions on boots.

I have used my Schnees Beartooth in the mountains and loved them. Quality in every facet. Have heard Kennetreks are good also but havent used them yet.

For the last 30 years I have used boots from the W. C. Russell Moccasin Co. of Berlin, Wisconsin. They are made by hand, fit perfectly, and are available in many styles--insulated or uninsulated...mountain boots, Birdshooters and everything in between. You can also order any of a half dozen soles for your boots. Russells are expensive but that all I wear anymore.

I used pronghorns for about 10 years hunting the mountains, and they served me pretty well. Last year I bought Cabelas/Meindl Denalis and having a stiffer "mountain" boot did provide better stability and reduced foot fatigue for me.

I like the uninsulated boots for early hunts as well.

If you like the Pronghorn, I would stick with them. They will hold up as well as anything.

Agreed! - They will be just fine. There are boots that will hold up better over multiple seasons but also cost 2x as much. Those Pronghorns are comfortable- good luck on your hunt!

I used pronghorns for about 10 years hunting the mountains, and they served me pretty well. Last year I bought Cabelas/Meindl Denalis and having a stiffer "mountain" boot did provide better stability and reduced foot fatigue for me.

I like the uninsulated boots for early hunts as well.

Agreed, once you get used to a mountaineering style boot, you will never go back. Something like a Lowa, Meindl, Kenetrek, etc. They are in an entirely different class than the Pronghorn. Much more support.

It is hard to compare the performance of the two styles of boots being discussed, without mentioning the context in which they will be used. In the case of the original post, used in some of the nastiest elk country you will find.

When carrying heavy loads, which is usually part of elk hunting, over uneven and difficult terrain, the value of a mountaineering style boot is worth the extra $100-$200 you might pay. Your feet will suffer far less fatigue over the course of a week-long elk hunt. As will your ankles, knees, and thighs.

The stability provided by the more rigid platform saves a lot of energy. When you have even a 20# pack on your back, in the type of terrain you will find in Unit 66, the amount of energy your body expends to stabilize your legs/steps in a lower quality boot, is very high. That is energy that could be used to hike and hunt.

Lower quality boots do not have the foot, arch, or ankle support of the higher end boots. Your foot, arch, and ankle still need to be supported, so your muscle groups work harder to do that. Thus greater fatigue to your feet and legs while wearing the boot without the more rigid support.

I understand why some would try to save the money. No need to spend money on luxuries. In the case of an elk hunt in the tough country of Colorado, high quality boots seldom fall in the luxury category.

When looking at the entire cost of an elk hunt, the marginal cost for an improved boot is pretty small, especially when that higher end boot will last you many more elk hunts than the lower cost boot. And, if it allows you to navigate difficult terrain more safely and with less exertion, your likelihood of success probably increases.

Hey sir - Danner is a good boot, and if the Pronghorn fits you well, it'd be perfect for the muzzle loading season here. I am a Meindl guy myself and would recommend the Perfect Hunter or Alaska Hunter highly.
Big Fin provides excellent insight re: stability, loads, quality,etc.

Zamberlan boots became my new favorite last season. They have been building mountaineering boots in Italy since the 1920's and for my feet they are the best I have ever worn. They tend to run narrow but the Vios line fits my ee's.

I have the Pronghorn as well and they stay home when I go to the mountains. They are a comfy boot for the prairies, but there is a big difference between a quality mountain boot and a flatlander boot. Here is a perfect example:

My dad and I went on a backcountry elk hunt. He used a quality boot, but it was designed for the flat lands of the midwest. As we would stand on a slope, he had constant problems with sliding down the slope and had to put a lot of effort into keeping his lower legs straight. Even when he wasnt sliding, it was apparent that he was using more effort than I was. If he didnt have me standing next to him, he would have thought his boots were fine. The boots I was using was the Schnees Beartooth as noted above.

The last time I wore Pronghorns in the mountains, I had three pair come apart on me. The heel seperated and the stitching came apart. I kept trying to make them work because they were so comfortable but they simply wouldn't hold up to 20+miles in steep, rocky terrain. That was 8 years ago so maybe things have improved.

I personally love the Lowa and Zamberlan all-leather offerings. Both have narrow heel cups to lock your heel in and a wide toe box for plenty of toe room. But all of the European made boots are similar in style and I feel they are superior to chinese made boots like Danners (at least the Pronghorns were made in China when I used them).

As usual Big Fin can put it into words like most of us can't. I wear the Meindl Alaskan Hunter and he is quite right on the support aspect, my feet love those boots, even at the end of the day. I did wear Pronghorns years ago and don't recall any issues with them, but I probably won't buy any more after wearing a true mountain boot for the last 3 years.

See the post about Kenetreks on Camofire.com right now, pretty good deal.

I thought I knew what quality boots. I have a pair of Danner Frontiers. They are extremely comfortable and offer good support. I LOVE those boots. In fact I still have them and use them.... when I'm on flat ground. Last year I bought a pair of Lowa Hunters and a pair of Kenetrek Mt Extremes. The Lowas fit my feet better so I went with them.

Now that I have Lowas I now know what a quality boot feels like. Puke someone said once you try a Lou.taineering boot you wont ever go back. Last year I walked 40 miles in the mountains of Washington. 4 with elk quarters on my back. That last day we put 7 miles with a day pack and 4 with elk in my back. I didnt have one blister and no foot fatigue. I would have had some super fatigued feet with my Danners.

Big Fin above said it best. Its hard to describe just how much mountaineering boots help you out until you experience it for yourself.

I'm young, stupid, and cheap... I have a pair of LaCrosse. They are decent and keep my feet warm and dry, all for under $100. Last year, for the first time ever (because of the weather and actually all archery season) I wore my all black Nike Pegasus hunting... and even killed my bull while wearing my tennis shoes.... BOOM!!! (born and raised Montanan!!)

I have a pair of Meindl Denali's that I shopped hard for and tried on some Lowa's and Han Wag's while I was shopping and felt the Meindls fit me the best. If you can you need to get the boot that fits the best rather than sticking to one predisposed idea.

I then bought a pair of used Kenetrek Mountain Extreme non insulated boots off eBay at a great price and they fit me even better. I hate to quit wearing Meindls that took forever to get broken in, but the Kenetreks feel better to me.

With that said, everyone's foot is different. Try some different ones on and get what fits you the best.

I have a pair of Kenetrek Mountain Extremes. They take a little to get broke in, and then get some better insoles for them. But I'm in the second year now, and they are finally starting to show their comfort value. It was brutal at the beginning though. Make sure and start wearing them months before you go hunting.

Ya try those big foot things. They are suppose to be stealthy....kind of like these ninja boot. Oh Ya :D:D
ninjahightabi-lg.jpg

They even come with socks.
ninjasocks.jpg

il_fullxfull_229186877.jpg

Attachments

• thumbnailCA5AC9XL.jpg
    thumbnailCA5AC9XL.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 7,081
Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members