Elk "bullet"

pointingdogsrule

Hi guys:

I'll be taking my first elk/rifle hunt this fall in southern Colorado. I am 99% archery so I am a little slow on types of bullets (loads). I did not shoot a rifle between 1981-2010 so it is a learning experience. For Antelope I used a Hornday 117 gr. SST ( flat with rapid expansion) and it worked great. For larger animals, elk, I would think that a heavier load and a bullet with deeper penetration and a slower expansion would be better.

Any suggestions from you experienced elk hunters would be appreciated. I will be using a Savage 30-06.

Thanks in advance.

good luck to all
the dog

I'm using 180 grain Remington core-lokt in the 30-06. Ran some thru the weatherby last weekend sighting in the new vx-3 for possible trip to CO this fall.

Still prefer shooting the bow though!:)

1st Elk hunt ? I'd go with a Nosler 180, or a Barnes TSX 165-180 depending on what your rifle takes a taste to. Either one will doo just fine !

You can use about any 180 grain bullet you want at 30/06 velocities and have good results.

I've shot plenty of elk with partitions, cant go wrong with that bullet (assuming your rifle shoots them).

It would be shorter to list the bullets that won't work in a 30-06 than the ones that do...

Stay away from any match bullets for the time being ...

Use 180gr slugs....

Can't lose.....

I think belly-deep is right on this one, lots of good choices. I'd try a few and find one that you and your rifle like and then make sure you have enough on hand or that it's one that's readily available. My son had a scope issue just before an elk hunt, had to remount the scope, used almost all the ammo he had re-sighting the scope, went to buy more and no one had it in stock.:eek: Just make sure you have enough for practice and the real deal, good luck.

See what your rifle shoots best! Partitions, Accubonds, TTSX's are all good bullets.

This is right on. This is your first elk hunt and you no doubt have a lot of money wrapped up in it. Do not take a chance on a mediocre bullet. Shoot a bullet that you can depend on staying together. The ammo is a small part of the expense, so make it the best possible.

Any bullet can kill an elk, but for my money, I want one that I know is going to penetrate even if I hit a bone. Many bullets won't do it reliably from all angles. Stick to the premiums. The SSTs, Game Kings, etc. are good bullets in their own right and work well for very long range due to a reduced velocity, but I have seen them fail at closer ranges where velocity makes them come apart without good penetration.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back