Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Elk Bugle

glass eye

Haven't elk hunted in a few years and looking to buy a new bugle. What's good and what's not ?

Last edited:
if you can use a reed call in your mouth and a bugle tube that's the best way to go and sounds better. rocky mountnain or phelps game calls.

I use Rocky and my buddy uses Phelps. Buy a couple of each, see what you can do well enough and have a few in your pocket during the season.

Forgot what mine is called... It uses a rubber band type Reed and the tube is the same size the full length.
I think most any popular brand will make the sounds sought... Just pactice and some really frustrated looks from the cat, wife, daughter, horses, dogs... And probably the neighbors - if I was able to see them while rippin' bugles... :D

I've had a couple others over the many years and this type stuck with me because it easily loops around and the mouth piece slips inside the end point. That goes through one strap or another and makes it convenient to carry - thus the reason I like this the best.

Edit: found it... Though mine has a camo sheath.
https://www.elkinc.com/power-bugle/

Should also mention, I have a few mouth Reed's(?) In a pouch I use for cow/calf/bull calls as well and of course a "Hoochie Mamma"... Don't leave home without it. :)

Last edited:
What is the HT opinion of the Berry Thunder Bugle? Seems like an easier learning curve than a reed call.

A good reed and a $2 plastic fat bat with the ends cut off.

And try a handful of different reeds (diaphragms). I usually find that the diaphragms that are advertised to sound like the more mature bulls are harder to use and never sound better

What is the HT opinion of the Berry Thunder Bugle? Seems like an easier learning curve than a reed call.

I've used one for years. Its super easy, maybe not the best for super loud and aggressive calling but it's proven good enough for me.

Power bugle by ELK inc.
Sounds very realistic if you can master it.
Was easy for me to learn on, can't get a decent bugle with a diaphragm.

Phelps diaphragms have been the easiest for me to get a good sound out of. I would start with the green reed. Rocky Mountain Hunting Calls' "Mistress" is another good one. As for bugle tubes, Phelps, Rocky Mountain (Bugling Bull) and Elknut all make good ones.

Power bugle by ELK inc.
Sounds very realistic if you can master it.
Was easy for me to learn on, can't get a decent bugle with a diaphragm.

Same for me. I use the reed for cows and the power bugle for bugles (I just can't chuckle with it)

Try to learn a diaphragm if you can and pick up a tube from rocky mountain or phelps. I use the bully bull extreme from rocky mountain and it sounds pretty darn good. Diaphragms and tubes can sound so much better than the "easier" to use bugles.

Dad has A Herters whistle call from 50yrs ago works every time,Now Cabelas.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lincoln's Poppi
Back