Caribou Gear Tarp

Easiest SW State for NR?

Brachii

I'm a Colorado resident who is currently building up preference points in both CO and WY. I plan on applying for NM and ID each year, as they don't have a point system. My question is which of the SW states would be my best chance at getting tags as a NR -- Arizona, Nevada, Utah? The Utah odds seem ridiculous, almost like I'm not reading them correctly. Anyone with good knowledge of these states and their drawing process? I'd love to have another state outside of Wyoming to start building preference points for to hunt every few years-- elk or mule deer. Thanks!

Last edited:
Unless you're a youngun I wouldn't waste money on the other states you mentioned with the length of time it takes to draw a tag unless you are one lucky sucker!

How many years of a wait are we talking? Even if it's for a subpar unit

Not sure if this helps, but I drew my 4th bull elk tag for AZ this year, have been applying for about 19 years there...so not sure you got good advice from the first response. I've also drawn a half dozen or more javelina tags, 3 coues deer, and desert sheep.

I do agree that NV and UT are a bit of a long-shot for you at this point, but if I had to pick one of those 2 states, I'd go with NV and then apply for every species there. Matter of fact, in the states that require you purchase a hunting license, it makes sense to apply for everything and at least build points. I didn't do that when I had sheep on the brain for a few years when I first started applying all over...and that was a mistake.

The thing to do is if you start applying around, have short, middle, and long-term plans/goals. Also, realize that things change over the years, sometimes to your advantage, sometimes not. I can tell you its going to suck for you, if in say 15 years, you DONT have points built up and definitely going to limit your options down the road. Plus, with some of the boomers either croaking or getting too old to hunt, there is going to be a huge bunch of people leaving the draws here in the next 10-15 years.

This tag drawing/point business is a marathon, not a sprint.

I already have, and will continue to have, some quality hunts in the next decade...

Last edited:
So you'd say AZ is my best chance? I'm 28 now, so I feel like it's the right time to start building these points in random states for an experience down the road. I like trying different terrain and animals... I may even do coues deer instead of mule or elk down there. Have any experience with an Oregon elk draw? The land out there is crazy beautiful.

Arizona in a non-premium unit. You could draw in 5 to 10 years. If you are a bow hunter, even quicker.

Getting your hunter ed point and loyalty point will also help speed up getting drawn in AZ.

So you'd say AZ is my best chance? I'm 28 now, so I feel like it's the right time to start building these points in random states for an experience down the road. I like trying different terrain and animals... I may even do coues deer instead of mule or elk down there. Have any experience with an Oregon elk draw? The land out there is crazy beautiful.

I would say so and I drew back to back bull tags in 2011 and 2012. If you apply every year, smartly, you could very well draw any year you apply.

As much as I hate the way point systems work, you really only have a handful of choices:

1. Play the drawing/point games.
2. Buy landowner, commission tags (expensive).
3. Don't apply (which means you wont ever draw).

I started out only applying in Montana as a Resident in 1980, in 1998 I started applying in other states. From 1980-1998 I drew 2 good tags, a Montana moose in 1995, and a mountain goat in 1998. From 1999-2017 I've drawn a bunch of stuff...CO deer, NM oryx and pronghorn, Wyoming several good elk, deer, pronghorn, and bull moose, AZ I already mentioned, Montana 2 breaks rifle bull elk tags, and AK musk ox.

You can fill in gaps with species you can hunt in some states OTC (moose/blacktail/caribou in AK for example) on the years you don't draw.

Its a pain in the butt applying all over, but IMO, its been well worth the effort it takes for me.

I realize that there are species in some States I'll likely never hunt, but you cant draw if you don't apply.

Good luck...

One thing too, here in AZ. our lesser units are better than good units in most other States. You can get 300"+ bulls out of any unit here. I have 9 points for Elk in Wyoming and a buddy in Casper says when I come there to hunt I better shoot the first 300 I see, if I even do!....Good Luck.......BOB!

Arizona would be worth a long look. One problem with Western draws is the increasing population in the West. Will there be more hunters in Arizona in ten years? There will sure be more people. Plenty of good points above.
I would advise that you look to build and use points in a 2-8 year window. Any longer than that time frame will probably include changes or major creep for that state.

BuzzH has it right. I've pretty much done the same thing. FWIW, I've drawn an AZ desert tag, an AZ rocky tag (both resident tags) and a CO NR rocky tag, elk and muley, a UT Pausaugunt deer tag (NR), NV muley, several MT elk and deer, both muley and whitetail, WY muley and elk, and maybe next year a NV desert bighorn tag (21 pts). So it can be done. You just have to focus and do it. GJ

You just have to focus and do it. GJ

And be willing to have a ton of money tied up in applications every year. If your lifestyle allows that then it's definitely worth it. I just got out of college last year and started on the out of state application road, and was quickly rewarded with an AZ bull tag in a premier unit.

And be willing to have a ton of money tied up in applications every year. If your lifestyle allows that then it's definitely worth it. I just got out of college last year and started on the out of state application road, and was quickly rewarded with an AZ bull tag in a premier unit.

You put your toe in the water and were rewarded. Congrats. GJ

Plus, with some of the boomers either croaking or getting too old to hunt, there is going to be a huge bunch of people leaving the draws here in the next 10-15 years.

The man makes a great point with this statement!

I don't know much about the Nevada draw. Have never put in.
Utah is a decent state to invest points in. Sure you probably will never get a Henry mtn deer tag or a San Juan elk tag. There are other options available. General deer tags can be had every year for archery. (I had a fun hunt in 13 in a general unit. Shot my buck the 2nd to last day). With Utah you can put in for premier units as well as General deer units. Elk units can be had in less then then 10 years for certain units. Utah requires a hunting license for the draw and you can get 2 years of draws out of 1 license.

If a person looks at other seasons in Az you can draw tags almost every year. Even going September archery elk you can draw some tags in 5 to 8 years. Az changed there allotment on the 1-2 pass as well as the bonus pass. So lower point holders will have a better chance of drawing. Much of Az is otc for Muley as well as Cous. I haven't looked to close at the deer draw units in Az. The Strip will probably take a bunch.

The nice thing about Utah and Az is they will charge your CC when you draw the tag. Sure you have to fork out for the hunting license every year or every other year.

Note all my research has been for Archery. Never have looked at rifle in them states.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tbonser94
Back