Caribou Gear

Early Bugles?

Festus

Thinking about heading to MT (maybe Gravelly Range) third week of August to nail down a 'plan B' at lower elevation in case weather. Anyone think we would hear any bugles by then?

Wouldn't surprise me, I've heard some little guys trying to get things figured out while scouting in Aug.

You'll probably hear bugles in the gravelly's that weekend. I went down there two years ago around that time and scouted. I heard roughly 15 bugles and every single one of them came from a person running up and down a ridge blowing on a bugle. Whether or not the elk are bugling that weekend is debatable, but it definitely wouldn't surprise me if a few of the younger bulls were starting.

May not be much help to your particular area, but the far corners of western MT, they'll start bugling about this week. And not just the little one......confirm this from huckleberry picking and scouting this time of year!!!

Years ago my wife and I were hiking near Gardiner in July and came upon a young bull with several cows that was screaming his head off. Heard him from a ridge over and were able to sneak over and watch him run around a meadow bugling. It was a long time ago but if I remember correctly he was in full velvet.

Was in the middle of a large heard 100 plus, of cows, calfs, and spikes this last weekend.
Lots of bugles from the spikes...

Thanks guys.
We have general MT tags for this year and will be in 'our spot' for archery in Sept. but we are just looking for an excuse to get out there, put on the packs and see some different country.
We are taking a guy that is an avid hunter but hasn't seen much outside of Patrick County, VA!
It's going to be fun to see his reaction of the experience including airports, cities, people, the Rockies, and of course the Last Best Place. Thought it would be awesome for him to hear some bugles. Thank God for public lands.
It will get in your heart and change you forever!

Last edited:
Back