Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

E. Oregon Chukars and Quail

elkrchr

I'm finally getting around to posting some photos from an earlier adventure over to eastern Oregon. On the way over, I stopped to hit a couple spots along the Deschutes River which usually hold a covey or two of quail. As the photos depict, four @#)(# birds made the mistake of flying through a pattern of #9's fired from a cylinder choke. Copious amounts of pellets combined with an extremely wide pattern makes up for not being on your game all the time!

After a great day along the Deschutes, it was off to Huntington, OR to meet up with a couple of buddies to chase red legs for two days. The weather was perfect, cold and snowy. Depending upon the aspect of the canyons, some had snow clear to the bottom while others had snow mainly on the north and east slopes. The birds were scattered, but in big bunches. The big groups were not holding well, but once we had scattered them, the dogs did their job and the birds held tight making for some fun shooting.

It still amazes me how crafty and devilish the chukars are. Once you're into birds, they constantly torment you with their "chucking" sounds until they entice you walk clear down to the bottom of the canyon and up the other side to their lair, only to jump wild at 60 yards, fly across the canyon and land where you just descended from. Then it's time to salute them with your middle finger!

In my opinion they are the hardest upland to hunt, both physically and mentally and that's what keeps me going back year after year. Enjoy the photos!

Attachments

• Deschutes 1.jpg
    Deschutes 1.jpg
    196.9 KB · Views: 1,184
  • Deschutes 2.jpg
    Deschutes 2.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 1,107
  • Deschutes 3.jpg
    Deschutes 3.jpg
    235.6 KB · Views: 1,242
  • Chukar 1.jpg
    Chukar 1.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 1,024
  • Chukar 5.jpg
    Chukar 5.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 1,042
  • Chukar 6.jpg
    Chukar 6.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 1,185
  • Chukar 2.jpg
    Chukar 2.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 1,038
  • Chukar 3.jpg
    Chukar 3.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 1,042
  • Chukar 4.jpg
    Chukar 4.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 1,113
  • Chukar 7.jpg
    Chukar 7.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 1,086
I've been wanting to chase some mountain quail as well, but my normal spot in southern Oregon is snowed in. Oh well, maybe next year.

Thanks for sharing the story and pics. Looks like a hard but fun hunt. That one dog of yours is not pure Lab is he? Looks like he has pit bull in him too! Looks very strong. I hunt chukars in WY from time to time. Tough hunts, always. I use 6s and some choke and three shots. They never give me an easy close shot.

What Map, you are correct about the dog. We believe she has both pitbull and wippet in her, but she is a hunting fool. She just turned twelve and we have had her since my wife picked her up in the Burger King bushes (she used to work for Animal Control) in early 2000. She was probably 8 or 9 weeks old and someone had broken her back leg and put out cigarettes all over her body. We nursed her back to good health and the rest has been history. She can't go like she used to, but she is still good for an all day jaunt!

That's a lucky dog to have such a great life after that kind of abuse. Good save.
That's good country up that creek. I got my buck up there 2 seasons ago.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back