Yeti GOBOX Collection

Dumb question about Dog

WIbunker

I have a chocolate lab, he'll be three this spring and I would like to breed him. I was looking at his pedigree and he's registered AKC, but it says his offspring cannot be. He's a great hunting dog, he was retrieving cans on the Mississippi when he was 7 months, and I'd like to have his lineage out there. Does it matter that his offspring cannot be AKC? Has anybody ever run into this? Is possible to have him registered UKC? In the long run does it matter either way?

Last edited:
Sometimes a breeder will not release a registration unless you meet certain requirements. Usually these are health tests (eyes, elbows, hips, etc.) and very possibly hunt tests. Once you have completed these, they will release the registration. Without a full registration, any progeny will not be considered registered bloodlines.

What does all of this mean? Oftentimes, it doesn't necessarily mean anything in terms of field performance. However, it also means that someone didn't have their dog tested for genetic issues prior to breeding.

There may be some other disqualifier for your dog too, such as a genetic issue with one of the parents. A friend of mine decided he was going to breed his lab, but didn't feel it was worth the money for the health tests that are typically done. One of his litters had three pups come up blind.

Personally, I would not buy a dog that was not registered simply because of breeders that aren't committed to putting forth the healthiest dogs they can.

So there's a lot that goes into the answer of your question. I am a breeder of Labs myself.

1. Your dog probably was given "limited registration" when you got him. What this means is that the breeder you purchased him from did not give you breeding rights. This is pretty common and there are many reasons to do it. One of the main reasons I do it is to discourage breeding that really shouldn't take place. Others do it to protect lines. Generally you get a lower price if you have a limited registration.

2. He is still a "purebred" and an official AKC dog which means he can compete for titles to add to his name. This does not affect the quality of your dog.

3. What matters in regards to his offspring being AKC is in the beholder. I personally, would not buy a non AKC dog for many reasons. It will certainly affect the price you might command for puppies. And if you stud him out, most breeders, especially those that have an AKC with open registration bitch, will not let you breed to them.

4. I am unfamiliar with UKC but there is the CKC you could register him to. However, AKC is king, and for good reason, and the Labrador Club subscribes to AKC. I would not venture down this road as it isn't probably worth your time.

5. What matters in the longrun? Will he throw good, healthy, birdy dogs? Probably. Will they be AKC, no. The caveat to this is you can contact the breeder who may be willing to restore that right to breed. I've never gone through that process.

6. I would ask why you want to get into breeding. If done right, there is little to no money in it. It costs quite a bit to get a puppy to 8-11 weeks with vet care, food, time invested, and cost of health guarantee insurance. The cleaning up of poop alone should discourage anyone from becoming a breeder. I breed because I own my two parents (chocolate and yellow) and want to improve the breed with a Lab that looks English but will compete with any field dog and be an incredible companion. I looked long and hard (went through 8 litters with first pick before I got my chocolate male) to find what I needed. The popularity and proliferation of Labradors has made whats available diluted and dangerous. Anyone who thinks they just let two dogs do their things and then sell the puppies isn't doing the breed any favors.

If you ever decide that you do want to get into breeding labs, PM me and I'd be willing to talk with you to help you do it responsibly and what is of greatest benefit to the breed.

Personally, I would not buy a dog that was not registered simply because of breeders that aren't committed to putting forth the healthiest dogs they can.

This.

And not only health issues. You taking that dog and breeding it, without any knowledge of dog breeding, will more than likely produce pups of a lesser grade than your dog itself. Once I quit buying pups "out of some other guys dog that was a good hunter" and started buying them from reputable breeders, I started getting much better dogs. There's a lot that goes into a good litter.

Thank you for the help. I did contact the breeder, I can get full registration if I want, I just have to pay him to get it. He is a half English and half American. I don't really plan on becoming a breeder, I just thought that if I come across someone who has a nice female lab and was looking for a stud. He's a great hunting dog, still young, and he's super loving dog. The only reason I'd like to breed him is because he has good traits and is a sharp looking dog. Hobbs 16.jpg

Attachments

• Hobbs.jpg
    Hobbs.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 179
I certainly don't mean to come across as a dick, but having a "good hunting dog" and breeding it to a "nice looking female" is exactly why some breeds, labs included, have so many health issues.

If you are going to breed him, please do yourself and every potential buyer a favor and have your dog tested for standard health issues within the breed and ensure the female has the same.

He's a fine looking dog. Enjoy him, and let him do what he does, retrieve birds. Very rarely do people do all the background stuff correctly when breeding, and we have some issues with the some purebred dogs as a result. I'd agree with everyone above who discourages you, but if you must, get your release from the breeder, get the health clearances, and then look for someone with a bitch that genetically works with your stud, and has all the health clearances. Seems like a lot to get a dog from your dog. Besides, every time I think I can't get a better dog, I get a different dog, one that is better in some way.

Oh no, I wasn't just going to go find some random dog. And I just assumed everyone gets the OFA hips and elbow and have the female do the same. Maybe it's not worth it to go through all the hassles. I guess I'm just naive. Thank you guys for all the tips I really appreciate it!

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back