Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Drop camp hunt advice

huntin' lunatic

Well, I know it's just a little over 300 days till my first elk hunt, but I am starting early. I need to pick the minds of elk hunters who have done drop camps. A friend of mine, his son, and my son and I are going on a father and son hunt. We will be on a 5 day hunt north of Durango for the 3rd rifle season.
I want to know how, and what to pack to keep our load at the 175lb limit. What do y'all do for human scent control and any advice that would be helpful. Not dogging the other elk sites but I find this one to be the friendliest and more helpful to the novice elk hunter. thank you and Merry Christmas

Need to know more than what you mentioned! Are you supplying everything and the outfitter is hauling you and everything in or is it their camp that is already set up with cots, food, utensils, etc. The type of arrangements you made will determine whether you can take everything but the kitchen sink with that 175# limit or whether you'll need to really take only the necessities depending on if you're providing most everything and are just being dropped off and then picked back up at a predetermined time. For the actual hunt just use the wind to your advantage and don't worry about all the fancy stuff on the market. We took a 5x5, a nontypical 6x7, and two cows in the two week Wyoming season this year, DIY on public land where we hunt every year when any of us draw tags.

Last edited:
In my experience after 2 days of elk hunting there isn't a scent elimination product out there that will work. The best you can do is try to keep the wind in your favor.

Merry Christmas --- 3rd season Durango. Nice. Don't worry about scent control as much as staying warm and being in shape I would say.
4 dudes / 175# = 43.75per I believe. Start there. Is that water/food/tents/etc?
How? You will need a good pack.
What? well, what is your budget?
>as top-gun states, refine your request to get more insight.
Have fun and good luck~!

Last edited:
What do you need to provide outside of core hunting gear (clothes, boots, gun, knives, sleeping bag).

Food?
Water?
Game Bags?
Pack? (will horses be in camp)

Seems like most pack-in generally have a 50lb limit of gear per person (sans rifle). If they are bringing in food for you I don't know how anyone would even get close to that weight limit.

I would look at the KUIU or Sitka layering systems for clothes, not that you need to buy them, but follow their methodology of layering ie base, insulation, outer, waterproof shell.

Get a decent sleeping bag, it doesn't need to be a $500 bag that weights 2lbs since you have horses, but something that is designed for colder than expected weather without being an anchor in terms of weight.

+1 on the What is provided? comment. I'm going to assume tent, lantern stove and firewood.
Additional stuff that may be available - Camp chairs,cots, gas cooking stove, table

As a Packer that has to get the guys to camp let me give you my perspective...

Pack multiple small-med bags that can be split up to balance the pack horse load. One Big bag for duffel sucks. Max weight per side of 75 pounds. 150 -175# per pack horse.

If you are bringing a fishing rod, bring a hard case for it.
Personal packing list
One or two set of outerwear for hunting (pants/ shirt)
Base layers and Socks, bring plenty to rotate.
one set of raingear
2 beanies you wouldn't mind losing, one good hunting hat.
Extra pair of boots if room
Camp shoes for night missions
Wet wipes
Medication
A towel for the shower or sponge bath.
Sleeping bag
Backpacking style pad

FOOD- Less prep the better- Pre ooked and Frozen Dinners in ziploc bags works well.
Booze- Liquor is more efficient than beer, don't expect ice unless there is snow,
Don't assume there will be coolers in camp.
Be aware of Bear precautions on food storage.
Do you need to bring paper plates or utensils?
Water source and treatment options? Collapsible 5 gallon jugs are handy.

Meat runs- Determine if you get the meat to the trail, camp or kill site for pickup in advance. Flag profusely to meat cache if outside of camp.

Great thread info for those interested in drop camps.

On the note of odor; I've used non scented baby wipes to clean then rubbed non sappy pine or sage (whatever is in the area to blend) all over my clothes and armpits. The key, NON SAPPY! Haha! Then rubbed elk / deer scat on my boots.
On the drop camp; Personally, and maybe just isolated incident(s), I've heard the drop camps are available in the licensed outfitter's permitted area only and they tend to keep the drop camps outside their areas of known game they keep for paid outfitting hunters / guides. Still, I suppose a good way to get into the back country for the hunt experience. Truth?

Sorry, it's 175# per person. They will check on us every other day and pack out what we might have on the ground
Merry Christmas --- 3rd season Durango. Nice. Don't worry about scent control as much as staying warm and being in shape I would say.
4 dudes / 175# = 43.75per I believe. Start there. Is that water/food/tents/etc?
How? You will need a good pack.
What? well, what is your budget?
>as top-gun states, refine your request to get more insight.
Have fun and good luck~!

Camp is set up with cots, stoves and etc.
Need to know more than what you mentioned! Are you supplying everything and the outfitter is hauling you and everything in or is it their camp that is already set up with cots, food, utensils, etc. The type of arrangements you made will determine whether you can take everything but the kitchen sink with that 175# limit or whether you'll need to really take only the necessities depending on if you're providing most everything and are just being dropped off and then picked back up at a predetermined time. For the actual hunt just use the wind to your advantage and don't worry about all the fancy stuff on the market. We took a 5x5, a nontypical 6x7, and two cows in the two week Wyoming season this year, DIY on public land where we hunt every year when any of us draw tags.

Assuming you have a good pack. For sleeping a good bag with bivy, perhaps a thermarest type pad. Tent shoes, sweet pants, a hoody. Perhaps a jet boil depending on provided stove, need to be able to boil water. Water purifier if source near by. Mountain house type dehydrated meals; I like the beef stroganoff Just bring pepper packets. I bring one per day so I make it the 2 man size. Granola bars, fruit cups, string cheese, and snickers make up breakfast and lunches. Get some coffee in tea bag form, hot chocolate packets, FYI, Sen Johnson(D-SD) voted yes to joining the UN in banning firearm sales and imports in the states. Damn near passed, 54-46. Spread the word, educate yourselves, and vote appropriately. packets for sport drink mixes. I bring a handkerchief to use as a towel, they dry fast. Each night I use a Scent Killer wipe that is towel size, then wet towel off. I bring a small spray bottle for cover sent, you can buy field packets off dry mix scent spray to make more in the field. Pair of socks/underwear for each day, 2 pers pants, undershirt for each day, 2-3 over shirts, one good jacket. I also bring a top/bottom thermal underwear. Baseball/stocking hat, warm/cold gloves. Get stuff into small dry bags to leave stuff safely at camp. Camera/gopro, GPS. Cheese cloth game bags, para cord, good flaslight,headlamp, knives, sharpener, med kit. Binos, rangefinder, rifle/bow. Playing cards. What about fire wood, perhaps bring a double toothed rip saw. All of this will weigh somewhere around 75- 85 lbs depending on duration and your gear.

Thanks for the gear list Redwood. They have cots so all we need is sleeping bag, wood, wood stove, will need to check on utensils and other cooking apparatus as time draws near. We will be going with Magnus 5 Outfitters. Maybe someone has used them and can share their experience.
Assuming you have a good pack. For sleeping a good bag with bivy, perhaps a thermarest type pad. Tent shoes, sweet pants, a hoody. Perhaps a jet boil depending on provided stove, need to be able to boil water. Water purifier if source near by. Mountain house type dehydrated meals; I like the beef stroganoff Just bring pepper packets. I bring one per day so I make it the 2 man size. Granola bars, fruit cups, string cheese, and snickers make up breakfast and lunches. Get some coffee in tea bag form, hot chocolate packets, FYI, Sen Johnson(D-SD) voted yes to joining the UN in banning firearm sales and imports in the states. Damn near passed, 54-46. Spread the word, educate yourselves, and vote appropriately. packets for sport drink mixes. I bring a handkerchief to use as a towel, they dry fast. Each night I use a Scent Killer wipe that is towel size, then wet towel off. I bring a small spray bottle for cover sent, you can buy field packets off dry mix scent spray to make more in the field. Pair of socks/underwear for each day, 2 pers pants, undershirt for each day, 2-3 over shirts, one good jacket. I also bring a top/bottom thermal underwear. Baseball/stocking hat, warm/cold gloves. Get stuff into small dry bags to leave stuff safely at camp. Camera/gopro, GPS. Cheese cloth game bags, para cord, good flaslight,headlamp, knives, sharpener, med kit. Binos, rangefinder, rifle/bow. Playing cards. What about fire wood, perhaps bring a double toothed rip saw. All of this will weigh somewhere around 75- 85 lbs depending on duration and your gear.

At 175# per person not included the camp stuff, you could take about anything you'd want! Seriously. A pretty comfortable camp can be set up for 1/3 that weight per person. Just my suggestion, I would take either MREs or Moutain House for dinners. While I can appreciate a more involved/tastier meal in camp, I'd not like to have to spend the time to cook it. If you or someone in your group doesn't mind being the Camp B, have at it.

The lists provided are good. Though I've not spent much time on a cot, if they don't provide a well insulated sleeping pad, I'd be sure to bring one. Google a few other outfitters websites as many of them include very inclusive packing lists for clients.

My first ever elk hunt was on a drop camp. Since then I've been on six other elk hunts, but that drop camp hunt was the most memorable. It was so great, in fact, that I'm planning another one next year with a big group. My experience was great, and if you go with a reputable outfitter, they will put you in a good spot and tell you how to hunt it/where to go. I wouldn't worry about getting stuck in a poor area -- my experience is that the areas are so big and there's no telling where the elk really are going to be. On my first drop camp, 3 out of 4 of us killed and the other guy missed repeated opportunities.

As far as the gear goes, you can find a number of gear lists out on the web (here's one http://www.meekercolorado.com/lostsolar/Personal_Items.htm). Here's my advice from my first drop camp.

- You have horses carrying gear in, so take advantage of it! The weight limit is pretty generous per person, so take advantage of it!

- Take a large, warm sleeping bag. A drop camp hunt isn't the pace to bring the lightweight mummy bag. Get something big, warm, and roomy!

- As far as food, we made the mistake of relying mostly on MREs/Dehydrated meals. You have the luxury of horses packing in food, so despite what some others on here have said, I recommend bringing "real food." I got sick of the backpacking meals really quick, and we only had one or two meals worth of food that weren't MREs/Mountain House/etc. I'd experiment with some one pot meals or even, as some have suggested, previously prepared and frozen food. I'm already putting together a menu like this for our trip. With four hunters in camp, there could be a decent chance someone tags out early and then they can take over some of the camp chores like cooking.

- Rifle hunting I wouldn't worry as much about scent control. Keep the wind right and that should be more than enough to get you in rifle range.

- Study up on layering and bring an ample supply of clothes. Third season in Colorado can bring just about any kind of weather you could imagine.

- As with any elk hunt, the biggest thing you can do to improve your odds of success is to get in shape! Pictures and words never do it justice as to how extreme elk country is. Being at a dropcamp is going to lock you into one place, so you want to make sure you cover as much of it as you can.

You're going to have a blast!! To me the epitome of a western hunt is a wall tent in elk country. It really doesn't get much better than that!

My first drop camp hunt was an incredible experience. Took a nice bull the first day hunting the Snowcrest Mountains near Alder, Montana. Then with being tagged out I was able to get my buddy his first elk. Drop camp hunts are all about everyone working together and being a team. I was fortunate to hunt with two great friends from Cabelas. So things went very smoothly. Looks like the company your with isn't an issue at all.

As far as advise I agree with bigeasygator. Freeze a couple good meals that are easy to heat up chili, beef stew, sausage & peppers, etc. 175 pounds is a very liberal weight for each hunter. Make it easy on yourselves with dinner. Taking care of a couple elk after a successful day on the elk mountains will drain you. A hot full meal will get you ready for the next day. Mery CHRISTmas and good huntin'

Back