Drew a 110-50 Moose tag, any knowleagable advice to share?

buglefern

I was fortunate enough to draw a moose tag up the North Fork of the Flathead. I have concentrated my efforts on the general area around Polebridge. I've talked with the biologist and some other folks that have had the tag before and they have been very helpful. I'm just seeing what thoughts anyone else that has had that tag or is familiar with that area would like to share. I live in Helena so I'm a slight distance from the district. I'm planning on pushing all my elk hunting to the side and taking the last week of September and the 1st week of October off. One consensus that everyone talks about is the grizzlies but I've got friends that will somewhat be my security force for that, lol. Thanks for any input. Happy Hunting.

Good area, actually a huge area. Used to spend a lot of time in the Northfork but the predators up there are so thick the mule deer and elk numbers dropped so I started spending less and less time up there. Lots of bears, cats and wolves in the Northfork so the animals aren't exactly where you would expect them to be.

My general advice on that tag is don't just focus on the Polebridge area, that's a huge unit and I have seen more bull moose on the west side of the unit in the Upper Whitefish drainage. Plus the west side of 110 seems to be the forgotten area of that tag. But if you like that Polebridge area, Hay Creek, Whale Creek and some of the drainages further north its really good "moosey" country too.

Good luck and send me a PM and I can see what I can do to help you.

Big, beautiful unit loaded with predators. There are moose there, but you will have to hunt hard. A buddy of mine had the tag a few years ago and got a nice bull with his bow in the Moose Creek drainage. Seems like a logical place to start!

Back