double or bolt and what caliber

csutton7

what caliber would you want to take for hunting the nasties of Africa---

would you want it in a double or bolt action--

money is of no concern--just say you had unlimited funds for purchasing the rifle....chris

Chris.. How large and what kind of nasties are you talking about?

For the kittys, I would think that something delicate in a 450 or a 600 nitro would be sufficient. In either of those cases, I would prefer the rimmed version of the case and that would find a nice home in a double. For tuskers, I would think something with a bit more velocity would be appropriate. Maybe something in a .500 Weatherby or Remington and that would be specifically in a bolt rifle. Since they are virtually the same cartridge, either of the parent actions or a nice Square Bridge Brevex Mauser action would be nice.. since $$ is of no concern..

:cool:

danr55----one gun for the Big 6

elephant--buff--lion--rhino--hippo and leopard

the rhino is pretty much a darting operation it seems these days, so I figure why not throw the Hippo in there--he can be nasty and will charge you--

Ridgerunner--nice guns for sure--chris

Don't know much about the biggies but saw some doubles at SCI show that were pieces of art... Kriegoff (sp?)...obscenely expensive...think one was 35 grand.

Well since we're dreaming... I'd be pack'n a Searcy double chambered in 470NE for Jumbo and Rino/hippo, a Holland and Holland chambered in 416 Rigby for buff and lion, and either a Cooper or Dakota chambered in 9.3x62 for Lepord... :)

This is hard because I would choose a 460 weatherby mag because it will kill a rino,hippo but if you went cat hunting it would blow on in half I would recomend getting 2 guns say a 300 win mag and a 460 weatherby mag

go for the bolt-action

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back