Yeti GOBOX Collection

Don't feed the bears

Oak

Expert
Sheesh, will people never learn? :confused:

OURAY, Colo. -- The Colorado Division of Wildlife is assisting the Ouray County Sheriff's Department and the Ouray County Coroner in investigating the Aug. 7 death of a 74-year-old woman. A visitor to the house observed the woman's body outside the home. Responding deputies found evidence at the scene that suggested that a bear or bears had consumed portions of the body. An autopsy is being conducted to determine whether the bears were involved in the death or came upon the body after death.

According to the Ouray County Coroner the victim has been identified as Donna Munson, the owner and resident of the house. The Ouray County Sheriff's Department is the lead agency in the investigation. A search warrant was issued as part of the ongoing investigation into the cause of death.

As sheriff's deputies were investigating the scene, they were approached by a large five-year-old bear that exhibited aggressive behavior. Deputies shot and killed the bear after it approached them and exhibited no fear of people.

The 250-pound male bear was taken to the Colorado State University Diagnostic Lab in Grand Junction where a necropsy was performed. Results of the necropsy were inconclusive as to whether the aggressive bear was involved in the original incident. Another large male bear was killed at the residence by Wildlife Services branch of the United States Department of Agriculture agents working under the authority of the Division on Friday night. Another necropsy will be performed. Pending the results of the necropsy, the Division will respond to reports of aggressive bears in the area and take appropriate action.

The Division of Wildlife has investigated residents at the home for intentionally feeding bears for more than 10 years. Last year, the Division sent a written notice to Munson and renters at her home warning of the dangers of feeding bears and laying out the potential legal penalties if evidence of feeding was discovered. Officers have visited the home dozens of times over the past decade to investigate reported feeding, but officers were met with no cooperation. Efforts to trap nuisance bears on the property were rejected numerous times. In early July, a caretaker at the residence, concerned about safety, asked Division of Wildlife officers to place traps on the property to address problems with aggressive bears. On the first day that traps were placed, two bears were trapped and euthanized.

Munson had constructed a metal fence that covered her porch so that she could feed bears through the fence.

Bears that become habituated to human food are dangerous. The Division of Wildlife has used an aggressive public education campaign to explain to people for many years that "a fed bear is a dead bear". Education efforts and regulations have been utilized to highlight the risk of bear feeding - not just to the people who feed wild animals but to the animals that are fed and must be put down as a result.

Munson's body is being examined by the Montrose County Coroner's Office.

Since the DOW started tracking bear-human encounters in the 1960s, there have been two fatalities: one in Grand County in 1971 and one in Fremont County in 1993.

There's no cure for stupid....well, maybe there is.

I love this line:"Munson had constructed a metal fence that covered her porch so that she could feed bears through the fence. "

Why bother with an autopsy? Waste of money if you ask me.

Reminds me of that "Grizzly Man" idiot in Alaska.

Pity about the bear though......

I could say I am suprised but I am not!!!! Ouray has a human problem, Munson was not the only person in town that feeds the bears! It will happen again, and people will act suprised because a bear became agressive!

"What? Why can't I feed the bears? They're so cute though! Screw you guys.. I'll do what I want."

Personally,I feel more sorry for the bears...

Hey Oak, is that right... only 2 fatalities? Wasn't a woman killed up near Boulder a few years back? I thought there was a few more than 2.

Hey guys... here an update on the situation. Now according to the news updates and a friend with DOW possibly 8 more bears could be put down because they are "hanging around" looking for handouts in the area. I am kinda pissed at the DOW for not putting a stop to this feeding problem sooner, they have know about the problem for 10 years!!!

That wouldn't have happened for that long in Montana. I can guarantee it. The state passed a new law last year putting teeth in the old law that made it illegal to feed wildlife of any kind. This is exactly why our laws are in place. To protect the wildlife.

maybe the dept of wildlife needs to coral the 'feeders'...and make them watch pic's of bear attacks, results of bear attacks and pics of the dept putting down the fed bears?
Just a thought?

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fallguy
Back