Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Done in MT finally

mtmiller

Well this was my first year hunting bears in MT and man was I doing piss-poor on my own. Luckily a new guy to this forum (GFHunter) felt sorry for me and took me to an area he has hunted the last few years. I met him in Great Falls yesterday afternoon and for first impressions, Axl decided to jump into his front seat. I was boiling, but I counted to ten and allowed Axl to live at least one more day. :BLEEP:

Anyway, Dean takes me blindfolded into the woods (I am nevous at this point) and shows me where bears hang out. Hey, that's a start for me. That afternoon we hiked some openings, found sign, but no bears. That night as we pulled out we glassed a bear in an opening we intially thought about hunting. Dean is obviously not used to my luck. :D

I decided to sleep in the pick-up that night and hit the trail early. I saw the bear in the opening and picked up the pace on the way over there. Luckily I got to the spot just as the bear was about to hit the timber. I am from from a bear expert, but it looked big enought to me and I didn't see any little guys, so I rolled the bear from about 200 yards. Somersaults for about 30 yards and a couple moans and it was over.

I didn't shoot the next MT record bear, but I had a great time. Since Moosie can post multiple pics of the same critter, I will follow.
P1090665.JPG

P1090686.JPG

P1090685.JPG

While I was boning the meat, I saw these two bulls munching it up. Poor pic, but they were at the same spot where I had taken the shot.
P1090700.JPG

With a full pack I decided to head back to the pick-up. Dean had mentioned to be careful and go around the cliffs and small canyon on the way back. Silly me, canyon...smanyon. I should have know if it that tough to get to the bottom it will be tougher getting out. At the bottom it seemed like a good place to take a break and document my ignorance. I finally got out, but I took about an hour. Not real smart when you are alone and trying to climb wet, mossy, crubling rock with 80# on your back. :rolleyes:
P1090712.JPG

Thanks to Dean, I now have the bear bug. I am looking forward to next year and bigger bears. Even without the critter, the scenery was worth the trip.
P1090702.JPG

Thanks GFHunter.

mtmiller,

Great pics as always, congrats on the bear. I loved the pics of the ATV's on the other thread. Enjoy the rest of the weekend.

Nemont

Congrats mtmiller. Dean called me this morning but I was out video taping critters as you saw in the Campfire forum. I got a hold of him this afternoon and he told me about your hunt. Man, it's great when a plan actually works, isn't it? That bear looks like it has a great hide. It'll make a super rug. Again congrats on a fine bear and a job well done.

congrats----awesome coat on that "bar"---what pack did you use?? Eberlestock or ?? and how did it perform???....chris

Way to go MT. That is a great bear. Very nice hide for a rug also. Sounds like a great hunt.Gotta love the scenery up in the mountans.

csutton, I was using the Eberle Just ONE. Too early to tell, but it will probably do the job. I love the scabard, as it allows me to keep my hands free (like when climbing cliffs) :rolleyes: . Down side is it doesn't work well with a bi-pod, so I will have to get used to going without. The way I shoot, I need some sort of rest, but the pack worked well as a rest this day.

The belt caused some irritation on my sides, but I would attribute that to the extra buttons that were sewn to the waist line of my pants. I cut them off after the first day, but they had already created some raw spots that I felt for the rest of the hunt.

I used the exterior bag for hauling the meat, but I wouldn't do that again to the outside of the pack. There would have been less shift if I had placed the meat directly into the pack and lighter items such as the hide or extra cloths in the external pack (freighter).

Anyway, the pack is better than others I have used in the past. I like that I can haul camp up the mountain and then compress it down to use as a day pack during the hunt.

On a side note, I heard at the shows Glenn (Eberle) has 100#'s on the pack and lets you try it on. Everyone says it feels great. I must be a weiny, but 100#'s at the sports show and 100#'s on the mountain are not even close to the same to me. In otherwards, the pack will probably hold more meat and hide than I would be able to carry throught the thick stuff and back to the trailhead.

Thanks all...good hunting.

mtmiller, I would suggest you try the Snipe Pod made right here in good old Montanny to replace your bi-pod problem. It's handy and very light weight. It can be attached and unattached in seconds.

I have thought about a set Troy, but for this season I will try my trekking poles (AKA, gronola, tree hugger sticks). :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back