Dog tracking system

homestead

What tracking collar/system do you guys use? Pros and cons? I’ve got the old Astro system and it may be time to replace it with a new pup on the way.

Garmin alpha. I still run a 100 and the screen can be tough to read in direct sunlight. I've heard the new 300 models solve that as well as have much longer battery life. I have no complaints amd have had it for 4 years

I just sold my 200 and all my TT15 minis and replaced them with the TT25 and i300.
The biggest difference so far is the battery life on the unit.

I bought a 6 collar set with the unit from Outdoor dog supply. I can’t recommend them enough. They are fantastic to purchase from

I just sold my 200 and all my TT15 minis and replaced them with the TT25 and i300.
The biggest difference so far is the battery life on the unit.

I bought a 6 collar set with the unit from Outdoor dog supply. I can’t recommend them enough. They are fantastic to purchase from
So I'm assuming battery life better with 300? I've switching between dogs us supposed to be easier?

I've gave both 100 and 200 with mini 15 collars. Amazing technology but I've bugs with both

So I'm assuming battery life better with 300? I've switching between dogs us supposed to be easier?

I've gave both 100 and 200 with mini 15 collars. Amazing technology but I've bugs with both

Yeah better battery life on the 300, seems like I am getting an easy 50% longer on a charge.
I switching dogs is a little more seamless that the 200 interface but not much difference. I use the pro screen layout on both so for me I am basically doing to the same way with both units .

Fellas I’m not sure what the op is using the collar for or if it’s even necessary. I run all year and find the 100 more than adequate but a few hours at a time is what I do. The op may be similar and it’ll be way cheaper not to use the newest

I think it boils down to functionality you want/need from your remote.

I run two GWP‘s year round for hunting and work. I like Garmin systems. The TT 15 or TT 25 collars will both work great. You can get the TT 15 for about $100 less than the TT 25.

For remote I really like the Garmin 550 plus. I have an alpha 100 that I purchased to start. But honestly these days you’d have to pay me ALOT of money to use any of the alpha remotes. For what I do the 550+ is a way better remote. Easy screen directionality, and a toggle switch to move between three different dogs. Having to use the touchscreen to swap between dogs and takeoff gloves is way too much of a pain using the alpha units.

If you want extra functionality, I recommend any of the Garmin Fenix watches in conjunction. I run a Garmin Fenix 5 in the field. Really nice to be able to look at the watch and see a direction and yardage for each dog without having to look at the remote.

Chase

Thank you gentlemen. I appreciate the insight. The longer battery life of the alpha systems is a big plus. My biggest concern is any glitches/bugs of these systems, but most people seem to have minimal problems with them.

Garmin 200i for hounds and bird dogs.

Works for me.

The inreach thing is useful for SOS and texting

I had a Garmin 320 for a lot of years and about three years ago the receiver went bad. Found a used one to replace it with. Lasted maybe three more years and ten toes up! So got a new Garmin 430 and no problems. Farthest I was able to track a dog was an E Setter I had years ago, got him out at 2 1/2 miles. That was on the old 320!

if the old system is working, why replace it?

i run the 100, maybe the 200i or 300i would have been nice for the inreach capabilities, but we now have a separate inreach and it wasn't worth the upgrade from the 100 to a 200/300 just to get the inreach. if you only need correction & direction I think chase is on the money with the 550 or maybe even explore i think it is a 10?

knock on wood my glitches have all been collar related, usually i can play with it in the field and get it to work.

I've got a Garmin 430 tracking collar for three dog's. Not one complaint. It is replacing a Garmin 320 I used for well over ten years. With that old 320 I have tracked a dog at at 2 1/2 miles in fairly open country. With this new 430 I have been able to get the dogs at excess of 2 mile several times.

I ended up with the garmin 200i. I’m really not crazy about the combined tracking and shock, but it seems that is the way things are going. Thanks for all the input and advice.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back