Dog repellent

Gr8bawana

I was wondering of any of you have ever used bear spray as a dog repellent? We live in a very rural area and my wife and I go on walks every couple of days. A couple of days ago we had a pitbull force it's way through a gate and came charging at us across the street. I pulled my S&W .40 and when it got to about 10 feet I fired into the dirt next to it and it stopped, probably from the noise. We slowly backed away and it finally lost interest. My wife said she would have felt really bad if I had shot it. So maybe bear spray would be a better alternative. What do you think?

Good question - rode my bike past a neighbors house last year and a large dog came after me while I was riding down the road, and I wondered exactly what I was supposed to do if it caught me on the bike? I was pulled off my bike as a kid by a big dog and it wasn't fun. Interested to see what options are available as well.

I want to know what the dog owner said when you talked to them about their dogs behavior. I realize this is a pitbull, but I have heard using an auto opening umbrella on charging dogs works. If not, you have the 40 cal :)

I want to know what the dog owner said when you talked to them about their dogs behavior. I realize this is a pitbull, but I have heard using an auto opening umbrella on charging dogs works. If not, you have the 40 cal :)

An umbrella was good enough for Henry Jones to kick some Nazi butt, it may work for anything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzE6-WZtOi4

I think the bear spray would work as a deterent, myself. If it's going to ruin a bear's day, it'll ruin a pit bull's day. Although, a 40 will do just as good. No love for pits.

I have heard good things about pepper spray and dogs. That is my biggest worry running, but should probably worry more about the several thousand pound rolling metal boxes with people texting. Hope you don't have to find out how it works!

I've had more problems with domestics dogs than bears and lions combined. Those white sheep dogs on the mountain can be a serious issue, as well as the neighbor who can't contain their animal. I gave my neighbors pit mix a face full of the stuff in 2011 when I lived in NM. That dog tucked tail and ran crying like a baby. I'd feel bad too if I shot someone's dog, but I still carry both just in case the spray isn't enough.

Side note, be prepared to taste some of that stuff if you discharge the can. It's potent.

Use the spray. It's not as messy as killing the dog. Once breeds get a rep, it's easy to be reactive just because of the type of dog. I've had Rottweilers my whole life. Sometimes the sterotype pisses me off, but keeping control of a dog is key. Especially big aggressive dogs. If my mutt did something stupid, I'd rather she took a load of spray than lead. Then at least I could evaluate what happened . mtmuley

Last edited:
My dad used to walk a lot and has used bear spray on dogs before and it works well.

When I'm about to hop in the shower if my whippet follows me in I just say "hop in" turns tail and heads straight for the lounge! Doesn't work on the gsp though, she'd love to shower with me given half a chance!

Jokes aside i had a run in with a dog in my front yard, pittys are banned here but it definitely had some in it. I ended up jumping into the back of my ute. No bear stay or pistols here so no idea what I would have done in your position.

I have used regular pepper spray that we were issued on dogs many times. It works !!

I'm sure bear spray would work or even a smaller sized pepper spray. My mom was a mail carrier for many years and IIRC they gave them a mace alternative for dogs and she said it worked very well.

As a dog owner it pisses me off when people don't contain or have control of their dogs.

That said, it happens, and I would rather someone bear sprayed my dog rather than kill him.

If there is any question about whether or not bear spray would work on a 100lb or less domesticated animal, what are we doing even considering carrying it for 600 lb grizzly bears?
Certainly it would work.

I was wondering of any of you have ever used bear spray as a dog repellent? We live in a very rural area and my wife and I go on walks every couple of days. A couple of days ago we had a pitbull force it's way through a gate and came charging at us across the street. I pulled my S&W .40 and when it got to about 10 feet I fired into the dirt next to it and it stopped, probably from the noise. We slowly backed away and it finally lost interest. My wife said she would have felt really bad if I had shot it. So maybe bear spray would be a better alternative. What do you think?

Serious situation all the way around. Ricochet, missing and it's on you or your wife, warning shot and it doesn't stop, wounding and it doesn't stop....a myriad of bad scenarios. Glad you had your weapon. Kudos on the self restraint.

If there is any question about whether or not bear spray would work on a 100lb or less domesticated animal, what are we doing even considering carrying it for 600 lb grizzly bears?
Certainly it would work.

No kidding. My guess is because the Wyoming antelope and help me pick a elk rifle topics are beat to death and still 8 months till season.

No kidding. My guess is because the Wyoming antelope and help me pick a elk rifle topics are beat to death and still 8 months till season.
Wait until the MT legislature is in session if you want to see beat to death... ;)

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCEAB
Back