Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Dog attack

JEL

Our neighbors ( who we get along well with) have 2 dogs. A 2 year old Australian Shepard and a Grif puppy. The Shepard barks at our dog across the fence whenever they are both out. The wives decided they should get the dogs together to play to see if it would stop the barking. Saturday they came to our yard. At one point I was playing with all three dogs then left the yard. When I came back in their Shepard attacked me. Latched on my chest, shoulder then arm until I was able to give it a good kick. Very unprovoked, vicious and aggressive attacks. I ended up with lots of punctures and bruises. Turns out the dog has bitten several people. My question is can this dog be rehabbed? My inclination is to encourage them strongly to kill it. Lucky it grabbed me and not my wife or it would already be dead.

Last edited:
Our neighbors ( who we get along well with) have 2 dogs. A 2 year old Australian Shepard and a Grif puppy. The Shepard barks at our dog across the fence whenever they are both out. The wives decided they should get the dogs together to play to see if it would stop the barking. Saturday they came to our yard. At one point I was playing with all three dogs then left the yard. When I came back in there Shepard attacked me. Latched on my chest, shoulder then arm until I was able to give it a good kick. Very unprovoked, vicious and aggressive attacks. I ended up with lots of punctures and bruises. Turns out the dog has bitten several people. My question is can this dog be rehabbed? My inclination is to encourage them strongly to kill it. Lucky it grabbed me and not my wife or it would already be dead.
I'd say that's a question for a professional dog trainer. Sorry that happened to you! Hope you heal up well and glad it didn't attack a child!

Our neighbors ( who we get along well with) have 2 dogs. A 2 year old Australian Shepard and a Grif puppy. The Shepard barks at our dog across the fence whenever they are both out. The wives decided they should get the dogs together to play to see if it would stop the barking. Saturday they came to our yard. At one point I was playing with all three dogs then left the yard. When I came back in there Shepard attacked me. Latched on my chest, shoulder then arm until I was able to give it a good kick. Very unprovoked, vicious and aggressive attacks. I ended up with lots of punctures and bruises. Turns out the dog has bitten several people. My question is can this dog be rehabbed? My inclination is to encourage them strongly to kill it. Lucky it grabbed me and not my wife or it would already be dead.
Safety is always a bigger consideration than whether the dog can be helped. Your neighbors are not managing this dangerous dog's aggression. I've dealt w some aggressive dogs through the rescue group I work w. The amount of attention, caution, energy and expense of helping an aggressive dog is more than most families are able or willing to provide.

I'd say that's a question for a professional dog trainer. Sorry that happened to you! Hope you heal up well and glad it didn't attack a child!
Their response was they would either get it training or rehome it. I told them rehoming just passes the problem to someone else. They said they are calling trainers today.

I'm just impressed that you even have rehab as a thought. I love my dog(s) but we've always discussed that every dog is one bite away from an early demise.
I hope you recover nicely and that things get handled well, and in a way that doesn't foul up your neighborly relations.
My first suggestion to them was euthanasia. If it were my dog it would already be dead.

We have some neighbors that have very aggressive dogs that have attacked and almost killed two of my hunting hounds,

Yes the Shepard can be rehabilitated, with a bullet to his head.. I would contact the sheriff and tell the owner.

Attachments

• D0267925-D38D-4308-9273-D24FE1F088D8.jpeg
    D0267925-D38D-4308-9273-D24FE1F088D8.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 105
Safety is always a bigger consideration than whether the dog can be helped. Your neighbors are not managing this dangerous dog's aggression. I've dealt w some aggressive dogs through the rescue group I work w. The amount of attention, caution, energy and expense of helping an aggressive dog is more than most families are able or willing to provide.
+1 to this.

Very sad, these neighbors have failed this dog. Sincerely believe there are no "bad" dogs but plenty of bad (or lazy or irresponsible or, being generous, simply unknowing) dog owners. Unfortunate that this one might have to pay with his life for his peoples' shortcomings.

Don't let this slide. At a minimum report to the Sheriff/Police and let them know you did so and that the next call will be to their homeowners insurance company. I know if it were me and the dog killed some kid, I wouldn't be able to live with myself knowing that I could have (helped) prevent it.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MontanaPete59102
Back