Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

DIY Super Slam

I looked at your list there is 19, but you listed Cali and RM Bighorn separate and they are together, but you missed Canada Moose. Here is what I came up with. Blue you would not need a guide for. Might not know for sure on a few though.

Bears
Alaska Brown Bear
Black Bear
Grizzly Bear
Polar Bear
Cats
Cougar
Deer
Columbia Blacktail Deer
Coues Deer
Mule Deer
Sitka Blacktail Deer
Whitetail Deer

Elk
Rocky Mountain Elk
Roosevelt Elk
Tule Elk

Caribou
Barren Ground Caribou
Central Canadian Barren Ground Caribou
Mountain Caribou
Quebec Labrador Caribou
Woodland Caribou
Moose
Alaska Yukon Moose
Canada Moose
Shiras Moose

Bison/Muskox
Bison
Muskox
Goat
American Mountain Goat
Antelope
Pronghorn Antelope
Sheep
California/Rocky Mountain Bighorn Sheep
Dall Sheep
Desert Bighorn Sheep
Stone Sheep

19 Non-Guided

I Have 5:
WT Deer
Mule Deer
Antelope
Canada Moose
RM Elk
Canada Moose

Though it might depend on one's definition of "guided hunt", but I think you can do some more of the caribou unguided. I have read of and seen advertisement for unguided/semi-guided hunts for some of them in Canada. Mountain caribou are found in ID and AK, but the populations are so low that hunting is not allowed and I doubt we'll see it in my lifetime.

Though it might depend on one's definition of "guided hunt", but I think you can do some more of the caribou unguided. I have read of and seen advertisement for unguided/semi-guided hunts for some of them in Canada. Mountain caribou are found in ID and AK, but the populations are so low that hunting is not allowed and I doubt we'll see it in my lifetime.

Pointer is correct... You can do 'semi' guided hunts in Canada for woodland and Quebec/Labradoor caribou, same with eastern CND moose. I looked into this 7-8 years ago. It was pretty cheap... Like $1200-1600 for a week and a couple caribou, the moose wasn't much more. Eastern Canadian moose are generally not very big antler wise.

Move to AK for a few years and you can check off a few more.

You're pretty much hosed on the polar bear, stone sheep and mountain caribou though. You might check into the provincial rules about guiding a NR in Canada. I know some provicences allow a resident to 'guide' a NR friend. I think your chances of befriending a Canadian and going on a sheep/caribou hunt are much better than drawing a sheep tag in the L48...

Muskox was one I was not sure about. The Canadian Moose tags are pretty hard to come by with nonresident tags only available in VT, NH, and ME with real low draw odds. Some other states like Minnesota and North Dakota also have Canadian but only resident tags. I got mine in my home state of ND on an OIL tag. I would love to go after all of them and have thought of moving to Alaska for a few years just for the hunting.

My friend that I went on the ox hunt with shot a Fannin/Stone in Alaska without a guide...and a good one at that, over 40.

I think your odds of killing a 500" elk in Colorado are about as good as killing a Fannin in AK

I think your odds of killing a 500" elk in Colorado are about as good as killing a Fannin in AK

I reckon so...if you dont know where to look.

IMG_3727.JPG

I'm going out on a limb and saying that ones a bit short of full curl. :D

Next thing you'll be telling me there's stone sheep in Alaska.

What about the free ranging non-natives.

I am currently applying for Oryx and Ibex in New Mexico and someday will do some kind of a tresspass fee type hunt for Aoudad Sheep here in Texas on a low fence place out in Big Bend country.

I think a wolf should count if a cougar does. Why doesn't a bobcat count? Maybe they need to come up with a Predator slam where you take a cougar, bear, wolf, bobcat, coyote and a red and a grey fox.

I'm really not a fan of the slams though, seems like some folks hunt something like a sitka blacktail or a coues deer strickly to get a notch on their belt rather than because they really want to hunt them. Seems like once folks hunt them they sometimes go back after them again because they enjoy it, but the initial hunt seems more geared toward a notch on the belt.

I'm still hoping for a mountain goat sometime in the next 10 years even if I have to end up hiring a guide.

Speaking of which, I thought you had to be guided to hunt Mountain goats in Alaska?

Speaking of which, I thought you had to be guided to hunt Mountain goats in Alaska?

I thought so too. I understand it's an OTC tag on Kodiak nowdays but thought for sure you had to be guided or with immediate family. I have a brother in law there but his health won't allow him to chase goats any more. :(

I'm really not a fan of the slams though, seems like some folks hunt something like a sitka blacktail or a coues deer strickly to get a notch on their belt rather than because they really want to hunt them. Seems like once folks hunt them they sometimes go back after them again because they enjoy it, but the initial hunt seems more geared toward a notch on the belt.

x2 on this.

We all have certain things we want to accomplish. But to lose focus on the individual hunts overshadowed by the achievement of "Getting them all" is sad. I'd rather my eulogy was that I had a varied and fulfilling hunting life, than that I had achieved some arbitrary Slam.

I would think the fact we are talking about a DIY Slam would separate this discussion from "other" slams. From my experience it is pretty hard to be successful as an OYO/DIY hunter without being in the moment and soaking in the experience. That is the whole point is it not?

With that said I think Chuck Adams was a genius to make the goal he did and get it done. He was able to take his passion and turn it into a very lucrative career and as far as I know he did it all fair and square! I am not much interested in guided hunts but still I think Chuck was a genius. His goal was way different than mine.....

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaly24
Back