DIY Super Slam

Joe Hulburt

Being of modest means and not interested in going on a guided hunt I often wonder how many of the 29 species of North American big game I could harvest living in the lower 48 as DIY/OYOA hunts.

So far I have completed 8

Blacktail Deer
Whitetail Deer
Mule Deer
Roosevelt Elk
Rocky My Elk
Black Bear
Pronghorn
California Bighorn Sheep
and a bonus Gray Wolf

The other ones I know I can get a tag for and need to do soon are.....

Cougar
Coues Deer
Sitka Blacktail
Barren Ground Caribou
Alaskan Moose

Tag dependent (probably more likely to be struck nine times by lightning than draw all these tags! :eek: )

Desert Bighorn Sheep
Rocky Mt Bighorn Sheep
Mt Goat
Shiras Moose
Tule Elk
Bison

That looks like a list of 19 species that is doable for the average working man if they live long enough. Is anything missing that could be done for a resident of the lower 48?

Has anybody done it all DIY? Is anybody here seriously trying to get it done? I am not real serious yet but a couple more years and the expense of children will be a thing of the past and I will develop a serious plan.....for now I will pick away at it when the opportunity presents itself.

Sorry if this has been discussed on here before! I looked and didn't find anything.

Joe, very nice list so far.I read a story one time about a guy who was putting together a list like yours. If i remember correct, his was a list he could do on his own.He included the turkeys and the javilina and a gator. His goal was to hunt as many places and animals as he could without hiring a guide. I know you were thinking more along the line of the recognized 29.

Last edited:
I bet the Tule Elk will be the hardest one to draw seeing how CA only gives out "1" Nonresident elk tag.

If your related to Denny Austed you could ask him to just buy it :rolleyes:

Joe - I'm definitely making it a goal of mine and the wife would definitely appreciate me doing it as cheaply as possible. It's depressing when you think about the ones that you can't do DIY being a resident in the lower 48 though. I wish there were a way to raise funds and make it some sort donation to a charity at the same time to get those last 10 or so PRICEY animals. Selfish I know, but someone in need could benefit from it somehow I'm sure. Anyway, I'm trying to get the wife to agree to put Alaska on our dream sheet for future moves (I'm acitve duty) for the sole purpose of becoming a resident and taking the majority of those last few animals. Some may disagree with is, i.e. Bambistew, but I don't give a S$%T! They can deploy to Afghanistan with me the next time I head out. Anyway, that's the only other way I can think of doing it cheaply. Maybe you should consider living in AK for a few years.

I didn't realize there was only 1 Tule elk tag for non residents. That will be an obstacle! Better start applying there.

We are considering spending a few years doing part time work in Alaska when we retire DreaminofMT6x6s. I could work in a fish hatchery very easily and my wife could teach and make a decent amount of money. Great minds think alike. :) For now though I have a lot to keep me busy down here...

I think your list shows 18, I don't think there is a difference between the Cali Bighorn and the Rocky Bighorn.

One piece of toast, ah, ah. Two pieces of toast ah, ah. ;)

Attachments

• sesame_street_count_dracula2.jpg
    sesame_street_count_dracula2.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 683
Joe, very nice list so far.I read a story one time about a guy who was putting together a list like yours. If i remember correct, his was a list he could do on his own.He included the turkeys and the javilina and a gator. His goal was to hunt as many places and animals as he could without hiring a guide. I know you were thinking more along the line of the recognized 29.

Turkey should be in the bonus category for sure! Still need to do that and plan to this spring...

I think your list shows 18, I don't think there is a difference between the Cali Bighorn and the Rocky Bighorn.

I know the recognized big game record clubs lump them in together for record purposes but they seem to be different critters to me and I would love to have a Rocky Mt ram to hang next to my California so it will be on my list regardless.

How about javelina?

Definitely goes on the bonus list with the wolf and turkey. :)

Anything else missing? Time to get busy killing some new critters I can see that! :D

Anyway, I'm trying to get the wife to agree to put Alaska on our dream sheet for future moves (I'm acitve duty) for the sole purpose of becoming a resident and taking the majority of those last few animals. Some may disagree with is, i.e. Bambistew, but I don't give a S$%T! They can deploy to Afghanistan with me the next time I head out. Anyway, that's the only other way I can think of doing it cheaply. Maybe you should consider living in AK for a few years.

I'm confused by this statement, what would I dissagree with? I know plenty of people who moved to AK for the hunting opportunities, me included. Go for it! Know pleny of military that did just that... I wish AK would abolish the guide requirment and put NR on a quota like every where else. The guiding industry has a stangle hold on the state, so it won't happen anytime soon.

There are only 2 animals only found in AK which require a guide or residency, brown/griz and sheep.

I looked at your list there is 19, but you listed Cali and RM Bighorn separate and they are together, but you missed Canada Moose. Here is what I came up with. Blue you would not need a guide for. Might not know for sure on a few though.

Bears
Alaska Brown Bear
Black Bear
Grizzly Bear
Polar Bear
Cats
Cougar
Deer
Columbia Blacktail Deer
Coues Deer
Mule Deer
Sitka Blacktail Deer
Whitetail Deer

Elk
Rocky Mountain Elk
Roosevelt Elk
Tule Elk

Caribou
Barren Ground Caribou
Central Canadian Barren Ground Caribou
Mountain Caribou
Quebec Labrador Caribou
Woodland Caribou
Moose
Alaska Yukon Moose
Canada Moose
Shiras Moose

Bison/Muskox
Bison
Muskox
Goat
American Mountain Goat
Antelope
Pronghorn Antelope
Sheep
California/Rocky Mountain Bighorn Sheep
Dall Sheep
Desert Bighorn Sheep
Stone Sheep

19 Non-Guided

I Have 5:
WT Deer
Mule Deer
Antelope
Canada Moose
RM Elk
Canada Moose

Alwayshunting,

How can you hunt Canada Moose without a guide? Do they have some Canada Moose in Alaska? Obviously I know very little about moose other than I have been applying for Shiras tags. I know you have to have a guide to hunt moose in Canada for sure. I might just do that as one of the few guided hunts in my life because of that fact but I wouldn't include it in this list.

We talked about California Bighorn and Rocky MT Bighorn being lumped together but we have both species here in Oregon so if (I mean when!) I win a raffle tag I will go after a Rocky since I have a California on the wall already. :)

Are you going to go after all 19 on the list you posted?

You dont need a guide for muskox either...

Oh no! I have zero desire to hunt a muskox but now I guess if all other 18 critters find my tag on them I will have to look into it. Looks really cold and all around unappealing to me. :eek:

The moose in the Eastern states are Canadians.

Thanks! Time to start looking into draw odds there too. I always assumed they were Shiras and have only been applying in the Rocky Mt states.

Anybody know which states have tags available for Canada moose?

Thanks! Time to start looking into draw odds there too. I always assumed they were Shiras and have only been applying in the Rocky Mt states.

Anybody know which states have tags available for Canada moose?

New Hampshire, Vermont, and Maine that I know of.

Back