DIY Colorado Elk 2016

CWATom

Hello everyone. New here to the site and love it. Just what the title says. Because of other circumstances 2015 is out. Where should I start with planning a DIY archery elk hunt for 2016. Not looking for honey holes, but decent public land and what to expect. My plan is to hopefully horseback in and spike hunt. I've done the whole guided thing in Montana as a corporate trip. I want the experience of sleeping with the critters.

Thanks for your input.

I will offer up the standard, but fairly effective response:

Check out the Colorado Parks and Wildlife Elk Hunting University, start digging through hunter success rate/public access info by unit, pick a unit, start scouting on google earth and making some phone calls to biologists and wardens. There are a ton of elk in CO, do your homework, get away from the roads, and you will find some.

You are going to be hunting an area where a lot of people hunt, and IMO you will have a much better experience archery hunting. Don't discount the idea of going out before the elk start rutting, the heat can help narrow down elk locations, and they haven't been called at yet, so they might be a little less on edge.

Good luck.

Thank you for your insight. I appreciate it. This is something that I've been talking to myself about for 3-4 years. It's time to pull the trigger. Thanks again.

if you are using horses, I would look at the wilderness areas first, that will cut down alot of competition. Flat tops is probably the biggest, around 1/4 million acres, but there are plenty more that don't get the press/internet attention.

I was in your shoes a few years ago as well. Look through the old threads and you can learn a ton. Take a LOT of notes. There is only so much scouting you can do from the NE but on-line maps will help. Since you have hunted in MT you could compare the areas you hunted to some CO maps at least and know what the terrain may look like. I had zero western experience so it's been a huge learning curve. You will very likely still see some hunters and possibly work toward others bugles or have other people come to your calls. It happens. But it's still a great experience. Good idea to be planning a year + in advance. It gets expensive the first trip so get gear as you can. Best wishes!

Good thing is you have plenty of time to figure out the details.. might also consider Wyoming or MT. Get a point now if you think you might want to do Wyoming.

I really didn't want to do the whole point thing. I'm looking at an OTC tag. My intentions are to also hunt out of my enclosed trailer at a trail head if that's possible.

I really didn't want to do the whole point thing. I'm looking at an OTC tag. My intentions are to also hunt out of my enclosed trailer at a trail head if that's possible.

I think what LCH was suggesting was to buy a Wyoming point now regardless of what you do this year. You can buy one for $50.

I've done the OTC in Colorado a few times. It's a lot of fun. Be in shape to get away from the road hunters.

Yep.. I meant buy a point this summer, apply for a Wyoming general tag in January. Tag price is about the same as Colorado. If you don't draw Wyoming, Colorado OTC could be your backup. Don't think you could go wrong either way though.

As far as camping in your trailer, most National Forests have unofficial campsites/pullouts every so often along the FS roads. I like to arrive a couple days early to scout, then position my camp where I can hunt right out from there. I avoid trailheads, since they tend to get a lot of hunter traffic in/out.

First of all welcome! I'm new too and have found there to be a lot of intelligent/ experienced people here that are willing to help.
Definitely pull the trigger you will be glad you did. In addition to all the above, spend as much time as you can afford right here. It is nearly unlimited information, you just have to dig for it.
I'm not always sold on getting as far in as possible. Kind of like when you see a guy jump in a boat and haul a$$ across the lake and another guy fills his basket from the dock.

Figure out what the animals are doing in your specific area. We have killed several elk 1/2-1 mile from the road and only a few hundred yards off of a trail. And see people ride horses right by elk and never knew they were there.

Not saying dont venture further off the roads. It is fun and it works, just do not discount what is right in front of you.

I am also looking into an 2016 OTC elk hunt in either Colorado or MT, Archery. I'm doing lots of research, but I'm NOT looking for the whole horse packing experience. I just want to see elk and get away from other hunters and have a good outdoor experience. Good luck in your search

The Izaak Walton League is one of the oldest conservation organizations in the country. There are hundreds of local chapters all over the country. Our chapter caters to the shooting sports especially where kids are concerned. www.washcoiwla.com is our home website.

Blue Devil - Can you get an OTC tag in MT? I thought MT was a draw state. Again, I'm not familiar with how all these western states operate. The 2 corporate hunts where all inclusive.

your original post says horseback in and spike camp... Then u said stay in enclosed trailer at traillhead? Those would require totally different types of units in my opinion. unless i misunderstood what you meant.
But the good new is CO has lots of options for any type of hunter.

Shed - I threw both of those options out there for the simple fact of not knowing. I am up for either one. This is all about the experience of doing an elk hunt on my own.

Unless you LOVE horses I would say skip that , especially for your first trip. Search some old threads about horse usage. I had the same idea until these guys gave me some good points about what a pain they can be. My biggest factor in not using horses is wanting to leave my spike camp each AM in the dark and not come back until dark some days. I don't want to interrupt my hunt to go back to camp mid day to care for horses.

Shed - I threw both of those options out there for the simple fact of not knowing. I am up for either one. This is all about the experience of doing an elk hunt on my own.

Gotcha... I would not recommend the trailhead idea unless you like company... any good trailhead in a good elk unit will be busy during that time of year. CO has lots of elk, and LOTS of hunters. find an area that is a few miles away from an access point with some south facing aspen/grassy feeding slopes with north facing dark bedding timber nearby and you should do well

Yes.. Ive done well in CO. Ive killed 4 archery bulls in the last 4 yrs. I use packgoats and sometimes horses depending if im solo or hunting with others. i get 6-8 miles into a wilderness or hard to access NF area and look for dark timber near some south facing aspen/grassy hillsides. If you find that combination of things in a decent unit, you will find elk in Colorado

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohiochuck
Back