diy Ak. moose hunt

mixedbag

Just found a partner for a 2015 Ak. moose hunt,and need to do some serious planning.First, anybody have recommendations for a good transporter out there??We are looking into Willow Air and 40 Mile Air,but if theres other good ones I'd like to hear more.Also, anyone that went with either, what were your thoughts of their operation?Would you use them again?
Willow Air offers a drop camp with boat and motor,40 Mile does drop off at lake or float trips.I trust their areas are good or they wouldn't have business,but which hunt is better for a moose hunt;float or drop camp??Any specialized gear I should look into purchasing for a trip to Ak.?Any help would really be appreciated a this is probably a once in a lifetime thing.What dates would be best to try and book if available?
Thanks

I went with 40 Mile in 2007. Top notch outfit. I did a ridge-top landing for moose and caribou. Everything was as promised.

so, how did you make out on the hunt?I'd prefer 40 Mile Air as I know their reputation as being good.My partner went with Willow air and prefers them at this point.

moose1.jpg

caribou1.jpg

There is a book called "Hunt Alaska Now" I believe that has some great info on DIY Alaska moose hunts. It recommends the float trips as the best option for the fact that any moose you kill will be close to the river and a very short pack trip to the raft. Pm me if you want and I can find the book and let you know the authors name if you might want to look into it. It is extremely informative and is what I will use when I plan my moose hunting trip someday

If you can find the imfo on where to get the book, I'll definitely get it.Those pics were great

There is a book called "Hunt Alaska Now" I believe that has some great info on DIY Alaska moose hunts. It recommends the float trips as the best option for the fact that any moose you kill will be close to the river and a very short pack trip to the raft. Pm me if you want and I can find the book and let you know the authors name if you might want to look into it. It is extremely informative and is what I will use when I plan my moose hunting trip someday

Its an ok book, has a lot of general information for the state on all animals and areas, but I think its about 10 years out of date.

Float Hunting Alaska is a much better book for planning a float hunt. IMO

A float hunt would be fun, and likely successful, but requires a lot more logistics, and $$$, probably close to twice as much as a fly in hunt when its all said and done (think rentals).

There are a lot of transporters in Fairbanks that will fly you in, many charge by the hour if you have a place in mind you want to go. A truely remote moose hunt with limited hunting pressure will require a trip to an outlying village, and a bush flight from there. Also talking quite a bit more $$$.

I've never figured out why so many people are hung up on shooting a moose right next to the river/road/lake/plane etc. Why limit yourself?

The first time I went to AK was in 2004. My buddy and I did a 50 mile float on the Aniak River. Walking in that soft, sloppy, flat tundra was as frustrating as anything I've done. When I went back, I wanted a ridgetop landing where I had solid footing, and lots of areas to glass. I killed my moose a mile and half from camp. I spent a couple of days packing it out, but it was really no big deal.

The book I called "hunt Alaska now self-guiding for trophy moose and caribou" by Dennis w Confer. Published by Northern Publishing. You can probably find it on amazon or another book site I would imagine. It Is an older book and the chapter showing cost and price breakdown for the trip is probably outdated for sure but the hunting tactics and general hunting info should be just as valid today as it was 10 years ago

I have never read "float hunting Alaska" but It sounds like it could be a good source Of info just by hearing the title. I will be sure to check it out before I plan my moose trip

Just found a partner for a 2015 Ak. moose hunt,and need to do some serious planning.First, anybody have recommendations for a good transporter out there??We are looking into Willow Air and 40 Mile Air,but if theres other good ones I'd like to hear more.Also, anyone that went with either, what were your thoughts of their operation?Would you use them again?
Willow Air offers a drop camp with boat and motor,40 Mile does drop off at lake or float trips.I trust their areas are good or they wouldn't have business,but which hunt is better for a moose hunt;float or drop camp??Any specialized gear I should look into purchasing for a trip to Ak.?Any help would really be appreciated a this is probably a once in a lifetime thing.What dates would be best to try and book if available?
Thanks

Scott,

Great to hear that you found a partner for your moose hunt! Did I send you my gear list from recent moose and bou hunts? Glad to send it if I didn't.

I haven't used Willow Air, but have done several hunts (and will do more) with 40 Mile Air. If you go with 40 Mile, I would highly recommend a ridgetop hunt versus a lake hunt (I've done both). On the lake hunts you're fairly limited in terms of being able to hike far, and the land is much flatter so you don't have the same range while glassing. While the success rates are pretty good on the lake hunts, I think you'll miss a lot of the scenery and hiking you could enjoy on a ridgetop hunt.

Other good moose outfits I'm aware of (but haven't used yet) are Papa Bear Adventures out of Bethel, and Golden Eagle Outfitters out of Kotzebue (I have flown with Golden Eagle out of Delta Junction, and will use them again in the future).

As far as dates, I always go later when I can, to hopefully ensure that the temps have gotten chillier and the bulls are in the rut.

Best of luck Scott, shoot me an email or a PM if I can be of any help!

Michael

Scott,

Great to hear that you found a partner for your moose hunt! Did I send you my gear list from recent moose and bou hunts? Glad to send it if I didn't.

I haven't used Willow Air, but have done several hunts (and will do more) with 40 Mile Air. If you go with 40 Mile, I would highly recommend a ridgetop hunt versus a lake hunt (I've done both). On the lake hunts you're fairly limited in terms of being able to hike far, and the land is much flatter so you don't have the same range while glassing. While the success rates are pretty good on the lake hunts, I think you'll miss a lot of the scenery and hiking you could enjoy on a ridgetop hunt.

Other good moose outfits I'm aware of (but haven't used yet) are Papa Bear Adventures out of Bethel, and Golden Eagle Outfitters out of Kotzebue (I have flown with Golden Eagle out of Delta Junction, and will use them again in the future).

As far as dates, I always go later when I can, to hopefully ensure that the temps have gotten chillier and the bulls are in the rut.

Best of luck Scott, shoot me an email or a PM if I can be of any help!

Michael

All good points! btw Michael I saw your bull you took with 40 mile air on an outfitters brochure. Are you aware someone is using your picture with your moose?

You can't imagine how bummed I was last year Michael.I hope you did well on your hunt.I will need all the help I can get so the trip goes well.I'll be in touch or if you still have my e-mail-send me your list
Thanks

I was looking into rentals for a float hunt and for a raft they are expensive.
■Rowing Package = $120/day
■Paddle Package = $90/day
If you plan to do it more than once it maybe worth buying a raft.

All good points! btw Michael I saw your bull you took with 40 mile air on an outfitters brochure. Are you aware someone is using your picture with your moose?

Hey Ernesto,

Yea, back in 2006 I went guided because I did a combo moose-grizzly hunt. The guide ended up being a guy who played college baseball with my younger brother - I had met him once before when I went up to watch my bro play. All of my 40 Mile Hunts since then have been unguided (including 2010 when Nick and I met you), just because I realized that I prefer hunting moose and caribou to hunting grizzly.

I put in a special petition with ADF&G to let you take me on a bear hunt, but I haven't received confirmation yet. :)

Awesome sheep dude, you definitely get it done!

You can't imagine how bummed I was last year Michael.I hope you did well on your hunt.I will need all the help I can get so the trip goes well.I'll be in touch or if you still have my e-mail-send me your list
Thanks

Scott,

Sent you an email with gear and food lists, look them over when you get a chance and let me know if I can provide any more info.

Michael

Heading back this September to hunt moose with 40 mile. This will be my 3rd hunt with them and have nothing bad to say.... Ed F

Heading back this September to hunt moose with 40 mile. This will be my 3rd hunt with them and have nothing bad to say.... Ed F

You takin the bow again Ed? I'm back after caribou next fall, will probably miss you by a couple of days, we're scheduled to fly back into Tok on the 4th of September.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohiochuck
Back