PEAX Equipment

Dispersed Camping Question

CiK

What exactly is it?

On a map I have, it says "Motor vehicle use off designated roads for the purpose of dispersed camping is permitted for up to 300 feet from the centerline of the road, allowing the same vehicles the road allows and the same season as the road is open."

I speak english, but I am having a hard time with that.....no comprende?

You can drive up to 300 ft off the road and set up camp. You don't have to pay anything. There are no services.

Please try to do it where someone has done it before. Its usually very obvious in places where it is allowed.

Thank you for the responses.

What advantages do these set campsites 300' off the road have vs me just pulling off the side of the road and setting up camp 50' from the road?

Sorry for the questions. I have only hunted from trailheads in the past. Not going that route for this trip.

300 feet is the maximum distance from the road. Most of the time I am only 25-50' off the road to set up camp. No reason to drive 100 yards if you don't have to. The closer you are to the road the less impact on the plant life. I typically use sites that have been used for years.

What advantages do these set campsites 300' off the road have vs me just pulling off the side of the road and setting up camp 50' from the road?

Sorry for the questions. I have only hunted from trailheads in the past. Not going that route for this trip.
Depending on the location, dust could be a big reason to be 300' off the road vs. 50'.

Dust, noise, headlights and someone looking for a quick clip of your gear...

If you've already done that, you've already dispersed camped. That is pretty much the definition of dispersed camping.

Dust, noise, headlights and someone looking for a quick clip of your gear...

Got it. I think 300' sounds great.

Another question for everybody. Is it bad ju-ju to create a new site if I have predetermined places I would like to set camp up through my e-scouting? I don't want to be "that guy", but I also don't want to be a mile from where I want to be just because its common courtesy to use existing sites.

Got it. I think 300' sounds great.

Another question for everybody. Is it bad ju-ju to create a new site if I have predetermined places I would like to set camp up through my e-scouting? I don't want to be "that guy", but I also don't want to be a mile from where I want to be just because its common courtesy to use existing sites.

Just use a little common sense and it will work out.

I've just pulled off the road on BLM and NF several times, no established site. Just don't construct anything permanent (fire rings, nails in trees, etc.) and pick up your trash.

I also wouldn't worry about it if you're a mile away from where you think you want to be.. most people cover a lot of miles in the truck antelope hunting. Last year, and again this year, I camp a ways outside of my unit up in the mountains and drive in to hunt. It's not a big deal and I enjoy it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
240shooter
Back