Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Diners, Gas Stations, Truck Stops, and Dives

Man this thread is awesome. It’s amazing how many of these places I recognize!

Every time I get into Wyoming I stop in Worland. There is a cafe there called Maggie’s and I get the Bulls-Eye skillet. Best damn breakfast I eat all year. It is a mountain of food.

Was just at Maggie’s this weekend. The place is a true gem and breakfasts can be huge. It’s only a few minutes away from me. The owner is tired of the work I think and the place is for sale. I hope it stays open but it’s been for sale for awhile with no takers.

The Alehaus in Moscow, ID (Get the Groob's burger!)
Great food and a good beer selection!

Lisa's in Greybull, Wy.
I try and make excuses to go to Greybull for Lisa’s! Great food. Haven’t ever had anything there I didn’t like!

Sparky's Garage in Dillon.
My wife and I ate there on a recent trip to Sandpoint, ID had a few days to take the scenic route and ended up here for a great lunch en route. I liked their ribs and our whole meal was good!

The only place we never pass by without stopping so far is St Regis Travel Center for a huckleberry shake. Last time through we stopped for one at 9:30am with no regrets. Was kinda odd to wash it down with coffee after though!

Tobie’s in Hinckley, MN was a good stop for the family trips to Duluth when I was growing up. I’m a sucker for a good donut!

The Diner, Durango. Get a “Bacon Cure”. Gotta rep my favorite hometown place. Also the Scoolhouse for pizza.

Don Gilbertos - Montrose, CO. Machaca Torta
GG’s BBQ - Pueblo, CO. Amazing (and I grew up in the south)
Slope and Hatch - Glennwood Springs, CO
Carniciera La Herradura - Hobbs, NM. Best Asada I’ve ever had.
Comb Ridge Eat and Drink - Bluff, UT. Bison and Grits or Bad Breath Burger

going down to the gila for archery. Hitting all Hanks spots!

Last edited:
The Tai food truck in Tok Alaska, not even sure if it's still there.
Antlers Sault Ste Marie, Mi
Bubbas, Jackson, Wy
There is a Thai food truck, converted to building, now in Glennallen, for several few years now. Stop by every time through.

Ole's Big Game and Steak house in Paxton NE... be prepared to stay awhile just to gawk and read the captions of all the hunting photos.

Sunshine Cafe in Santa Fe NM... Best damn green chile stew around.

Any Casey's General Store in Missouri, Iowa, etc... Pizza, ice cream, etc... it all hits the spot after a day in the woods.

For when y'all are on summer vacation:

Crackers, Crystal River Fl. Gator tail is right, place is on the water, beer is cold
Pi on Broadway, Ocala Fl. Wide beer selection and wood fired pizza
Breakfast would be a Cracker barrel anywhere
The Yearling in Cross Creek Fl. only open Thursday through Sunday, make reservations. High end cracker food

I had a deer lease for several years that was right across the road from Coaches Store in Yazoo County, Mississippi. Best burger in the land. Couldn’t wait for the morning hunt to end so we could get a burger.

If you come North

Yukon : Sourdough Saloon

N. W. Terr: Bullocks Bistro and try the Char, Bison and Moose

Nunavut : Regardless of where you stop, ask if they have, Seal, Walrus, Whale, Muskox, they usually do and will prepare something for you

regardless of which Territory you are in also ask for some Eskimo Ice Cream ( whipped animal fat with seal oil and berries )

Greenland : you will not have to ask in Greenland as all the restaurants have Whale, Seal, Muskox meals, plus the Elder Sea Duck, very tasty.

Anything on I -80/380/20 between LeClair, Iowa and Orchard Nebraska?
There’s a Casey’s at every off ramp dam near. Great pizza, even if it is a gas station. Smokey D’s right off of 80 as you get to Des Moines is really good. I recommend the Asian glaze sauce. My wife likes their smoked Mac and cheese.

Just out of curiosity, does Joe's Smoke Ring still exist in Arlee?
We used to stop there all the time when I was a kid, but the shocking lack of any proof of existence in google leads me to believe the whole thing may have been a figment of my imagination...

For the state of Oregon, the R&R Drive-In in Joseph already got a mention. I'll second that. Our most frequent stop as a family is the C&D Drive-In in Boardman for a Bozo Burger. But the best for me is Fields Station in the middle of nowhere in SE Oregon. Best burgers and milkshakes ever. And I'm headed there on Friday!

One would think that the well-traveled proprietor of this forum would have some solid additions to this list as well. What was the name of that 5-alarm chili place?

QQ

Talkeetna AK - Fairview Inn

Elko NV. - The Star

Gardnerville NV - The JT

Cotati, CA - the Washoe House

Coalinga CA - Harris Ranch Restaurant

Rufus OR - Bobs Texas T Bone and Frosty's lounge

Adel OR - Adel Store

Gerlach NV - Bruno's Country Club

hate it or love it, greasy cheap diner, big cinnamon rolls, big biscuits - i love it: Starvin Arvins in Montrose, CO

Talkeetna AK - Fairview Inn

Elko NV. - The Star

Gardnerville NV - The JT

Cotati, CA - the Washoe House

Coalinga CA - Harris Ranch Restaurant

Rufus OR - Bobs Texas T Bone and Frosty's lounge

Adel OR - Adel Store

Gerlach NV - Bruno's Country Club
The Adel Store in Oregon! As I recall, when I was a kid you could buy Whiskey to horse collars and pick up your mail. If you can’t find Adel, stop at the Brass Rail in Alturas, California they’ll tell you how to get there. It is only 100 miles away. Kindest Regards

The Adel Store in Oregon! As I recall, when I was a kid you could buy Whiskey to horse collars and pick up your mail. If you can’t find Adel, stop at the Brass Rail in Alturas, California they’ll tell you how to get there. It is only 100 miles away. Kindest Regards

I believe this is also the store with the story of someone seeing a real live cougar lying on the porch of the store. If you've been through Adel, you know there's not much human traffic through those parts.

QQ

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gauravsingh
Back